Thread: GE Profile French Door - questions after ice maker replacement

GE Profile French Door - questions after ice maker replacement

Model Number: PFSF6PKXBBB
    Brand: GE

The ice maker (Samsung DA-97-05422A) in my GE Profile French Door refrigerator stopped working a few weeks ago. (It was filled with frozen water but never dumped the ice; removing & thawing it out didn't help, it just filled up & froze again; test button didn't do anything.) After reading several threads here about people with similar experiences, I ordered a replacement (very good price & fast delivery, by the way!)

I installed the new unit, and after less than a day it's making ice like a charm, but a couple questions...

- The test button still doesn't do anything (as far as I can tell). It did dump the cubes a few minutes later, but I'm not sure if that's a coincidence. Should I get some kind of feedback, hear a noise, etc. when I push the test button?

- When I plugged the refrigerator back in after installing the new ice maker, I got a diagnostic code on the display. The left display was solid '88', the right was one solid '8' followed by an 8 with just the lower right vertical piece flashing. Stayed that way for a few minutes then went back to the normal display. I couldn't find any way to get out of the diagnostic mode manually.
    __ __
    |_| |_|
    |_| |_ <--- this missing piece was flashing. (Sorry - can't get that to line up just right but I hope you get the idea.)

So the question is, what does that code mean? And is there a manual/list of the codes somewhere? Searched this forum and the web in general but I couldn't find anything for my refrigerator.

Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by DryIce; 07-09-2014 at 12:58 PM.

The error code is R-1-C, "Refrigerator defrost heater", "When fresh food compartment defrost heater operates, applicable LED ON." If the error code went away, then I wouldn't worry about it.

If the ice maker is working, then there is no need to press the button on the side. Pressing the button will start the harvest cycle to dump out the ice in the ice maker and then fill with water to make new ice.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Thanks for the info. We've had several power outages over the last few days, some for just a few seconds and a couple that were over an hour each, and every time the power came on, I got that blinky '8' for a couple of minutes. Just out of curiosity, today after I saw your response, I unplugged it for a minute or so, and got no error code when I plugged it back in.

So, bottom line, sounds like nothing to worry about.

Is there any kind of manual accessible to the public that interprets those codes? So far I haven't been able to find anything.

Thanks for your help!