Thread: Maytag Atlantis - Grinding noise during Agitation Cycle

Maytag Atlantis - Grinding noise during Agitation Cycle

Model Number: MAV9501EWW
    Brand: Maytag

Describing and diagnosing noises via email can be difficult I know, but will give it a shot here.
    I have a Maytag purchased in 2003. Model MAV9501EWW. About a month ago, the washer had a loud whining noise during the spin cycle that grew louder over time.
    So I ordered the Seal Hub assembly and spin bearing kit (along with a new belt - as it had never been changed out either and thought I would do that for good measure).
    I changed out the spin bearing, installed the new seal kit and everything was working great. spin cycle back to the expected sounds and decibel level.

Now two days ago, during a heavy load of towels (yes, I might say the washer was over loaded), a new noise developed. It sounded like a grinding noise and the agitator seemed that it was not getting it usual amount of "travel". I immediately shut down, emptied the washer, by hand at first, but then tried to advance the cycle to spin, which the machine will pump out and spin just fine. No abnormal sounds during spin cycle.

I removed and inspected the agitator itself. Those splines and such seem fine.
    I removed the belt and turned all 3 pulleys by hand. motor and pump turn just fine. transmission pulley or I guess thrust bearing, does turn by hand both directions. One direction is more difficult than other but I think that is because it is engaging and turning stainless wash drum.

Ok, here is my question: Does this sound like the transmission is shot? or could this be failure of the thrust bearing? Again, only grinding noise during agitation, normal sounds during spin.
    Second question: I see online that the transmission kit may typically come with a seal and hub assembly. Since I just replaced the seal and hub assembly, if transmission is bad, can that be purchased on its own?
    Final question: if transmission is bad, is it worth replacing on this 11 year old machine? or should I be buying a new machine?
    Thanks, -Scott

Scott,

It could be a bad transmission that is causing your problem. The most common thing that we see go bad on these washers and get noisy is the drain pump going bad. When the drain pump goes bad it usually will make the noise on agitate and spin cycles, but it is more noticeable on the agitate cycle. Some of the metal in the bearings of the pump will start to go bad and make the pump noisy. Since your washer is only making the noise on the agitate cycle, it is probably not the drain pump but it is worth checking.

The transmission only comes as a kit that includes the seal, and they do not sell the transmission without the seal kit.

At a certain point it is better to replace the machine than to keep putting money into an older appliance. I would go price out what a new washing machine would cost and then compare that to the price of fixing your existing washer.

If you do end up fixing the washer, let me know how the repair goes for you.

These are the parts for your model washer:

Transmission & Seal Kit - PD00003041

Drain Pump - PD00002561
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter