Thread: Compressor Not Starting

Patient

Compressor Not Starting

Model Number: ED5PHEXMQ00
    Brand: Whirlpool

My overload relay died on my fridge's Embraco compressor, model number EGY 90HLP. I went to get the OEM replacement part but was sold instead a Supco 3-IN-1 start unit. I wired it up accordingly, but the fridge still does not start. When I plug in the power cord the fan immediately comes on and the interior lights in the fridge comes on. I replaced the defrost thermostat in the freezer section and still nothing. My resistance readings across the compressor terminals are as follows:

A-B=4.3 Ohms
    A-C=3.1 Ohms
    B-C=1.4 Ohms

A=7.4 Ohms
    B=5.7 Ohms
    C=4.5 Ohms

I have an upside down triangle for my compressor terminals, so I concluded that terminal "A" to be top left and is the "Start" terminal as it had the highest Ohm reading. The "B" or "Run" terminal to be the top right terminal because of the second highest reading and the "Common" terminal to be the one with the lowest reading or the bottom lone terminal.

This unit has an ADC (automatic defrost control) circuit board.

How have I done so far and what am I missing?

I dont want to jump to conclusions and substitute parts here and there as I already replaced the defrost thermostat in the freezer compartment and still nothing.

What could be wrong?

Thanks.

On this refrigerator it is best to use the OEM start relay and overload. A lot of the supco 3-in-1 start devices are a hard start style that can damage newer style compressors. Have you verified that the start device is receiving power? Sometimes when the start device burns up it can also burn up the control board at the same time due to a higher amperage draw. When this happens the control board will stop sending power to the compressor.

These are the parts for your model refrigerator:

Start Device Kit - PD00002425

Defrost Control Board - PD00002960
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Patient
    Yes, I did check that the Supco 3-in-1 is receiving output voltage. With reference to the Supco's "common" or black terminal both the start and run terminals are receiving 120.6 volts a-c, as measured on the Fluke. However, on my model refrigerator the defective part looks nothing like the part in your picture, but like PD00002425 (mfg#8201786). It just has one of the two units in the picture and a 12 microfarad capacitor which tests good. Upon inspection of the defrost control board it still looks brand new with no signs of being burnt.

It looks like they list two start device kits for your model refrigerator, and I gave you the wrong one of the two. The one that you came up with part # PD00002425 is the correct one that you would need. Do the compressor make any noise like it is trying to start?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Patient
    Yes, the compressor sounds like its trying to start, but I can hear the overload kicking in.

If you hear the compressor trying to start and then it kicks out on the overload, then that usually means that the compressor is locked up and will need to be replaced. A compressor will need to be replaced by a professional and it can be very expensive. You will have to call around locally to see what they would charge to replace the compressor.

This is the compressor kit for your refrigerator:

Compressor Kit - PD00003461
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Patient
    Thanks for your time and diagnosis. I am not an appliance technician, just a do-it-yourselfer.

You're welcome!
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Old topic, but maybe someone will use it