Thread: [FIXED] Maytag dryer start issues

[FIXED] Maytag dryer start issues

Model Number: SDE515DAYW
    Brand: Maytag

I have a SDE515DAYW dryer. When you select the beginning of any cycle the dryer will not start. The moisture sensor led lights up and there is no noise. No hum, nothing.
    If you manually move the timer to the very end of the cycle the dryer will start and run (after pushing the start button). I would deduce that this has to do with the heating elements as the end of the cycle does not draw on those parts. SO...
    I read a lot online, and ended up trying a lot of troubleshooting.
    1) The door switch and start switch/button are operational.
    2) I have 240v and 120V coming into the unit (no breaker or house wiring issues).
    3) The thermal fuse has continuity at room temp. I jumped it and no change in operation.
    4) The high limit thermostat also has continuity at room temp. I jumped it and no change in operation.
    5) The cycling thermostat has continuity at room temp. I jumped it and no change in operation.
    6) Since the motor does start and run fine at the end of the cycle I don't think the motor is at fault.

ALL of this has lead me to believe the timer has died and I need to replace it. Everything I have read leads me to believe this is the least likely scenario though- and it's expensive.

My question is am I missing anything? What else could I check before buying a timer?

Thanks, Jeff

Jeff,

It also sounds to me like it is probably the timer that is bad. If you are able to locate the schematic on the dryer, it will have a chart with information on what contacts on the timer should be opened or closed at different times. With this information you can confirm that the timer is good or bad. Let me know what you end up finding.

This is the timer for your model dryer:

Timer - PD00002309
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Thanks for the response. I carefully tested the timer. Everything seemed closed when it should except the drive motor wires. When at the end of cycle when both drive motor and 'signal' should be closed they are. But any other time during a cycle the drive motor wire would fluctuate around .5 on the ohms meter. It was zero (closed) when the timer was at the end of the cycle and of course the only time the dryer will run.
    I think this confirms that something internal went on the timer. Would you think the same?
    Thanks!

I got a replacement timer & installed it at lunch today. The dryer started up and heat kicked on. I still have to reassemble it but I think we're safe from the laundromat for now!
    Thanks for your help!

Great! I am glad that took care of your problem. I have updated the status of this thread to FIXED.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter