Thread: Ice Maker Compartment Temperature is +10F

Patient

Ice Maker Compartment Temperature is +10F

Model Number: PFSS6PKWBSS
    Brand: GE

Further investigation into my lack of ice production led me to test the temperature at the ice maker. I placed a thermometer that will record the minimum temperature and after two hours the minimum reached was +10oF. I have read that +5oF is the temperature needed for the ICM701 in the GE to operate normally and produce adequate ice.

How is the ice maker compartment cooled since it is in the refrigerator section of the side-by-side? What can be done to check/increase the cooling to the ice maker compartment? If I can't get it cool enough in the ice maker compartment, control boards and ice maker machines will not solve my lack of ice.
    Last edited by George A; 06-03-2012 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Appearance

George,

There are two fans in the freezer section. One of the fans circulates the cold air around the freezer, and the other fan sends the cold air up to the ice maker compartment. Check to make sure the fan is working properly, and also make sure there is not any frost or ice blockages keeping the air from flowing up to the ice maker compartment. I would also leave that thermometer in there possibly overnight, because it may take a while for it to cool all of the way back down.

What kind of ice production are you getting?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Hello! I have the same model. My compartment is not even freezing. Last year the icemaker stopped working and I hit the reset button and it started working later. Not working this time. Hit the reset button this time and it fills the reservoir then makes two beeps on the front panel. Not freezing. How do I check to see if both fans are working? Any help will be greatly appreciated!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    George,

There are two fans in the freezer section. One of the fans circulates the cold air around the freezer, and the other fan sends the cold air up to the ice maker compartment. Check to make sure the fan is working properly, and also make sure there is not any frost or ice blockages keeping the air from flowing up to the ice maker compartment. I would also leave that thermometer in there possibly overnight, because it may take a while for it to cool all of the way back down.

What kind of ice production are you getting?

The ice maker won't work properly if it isn't getting cold enough. The fans are located in the back part of the freezer section. You will have to remove everything from the freezer to gain access to the back panel. Once the back panel is removed, you should have access to see the fans. Always unplug the refrigerator before working on it.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

I pulled the back panel and saw a block of ice. I defrosted it and cleaned the mess up. Both fans were checked to be working. I put everything back and the Icemaker compartment has cold air blowing into it. My question is why it did not self-defrost? I went ahead and ordered the control board with the newer version and another icemaker (DA81-01421A). Is this necessary or is there another problem that prevented the defrost? Thanks!

Was there a small block of ice in one area (include a picture if you can)? Or was the whole evaporator coil iced/frosted up?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Whole evaporator coil iced/frosted up. I did defrost it myself. I woke up this morning and have ice in the compartment. Did not take picture, sorry. Thanks for your quick response!

It is normal for the evaporator coil to have a light layer of frost on it. When it doesn't go through the automatic defrost cycle, it will build up with a heavy layer of frost and ice over the course of a few days. When this happens, the air doesn't circulate properly, and it will cause the freezer and ice maker compartment to warm up. There are multiple components to the automatic defrost cycle, the control board, defrost heater, defrost sensor, and defrost thermostat. If one or more of the components has failed, it will not go through the defrost cycle properly.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com