Thread: Maytag Neptune washer ND error

Patient

Maytag Neptune washer ND error

Model Number: MAH6700AWW
    Brand: Maytag

I was washing clothes and my washer started displaying the letters ND on the display. The door is also locked and I can't get my clothes out of the washer. I tried different cycles but nothing seems to be working.

The ND error means that the washer is Not Draining. Check for any obvious things like a kinked/clogged drain hose. If that's not the case then something has gotten into the drain pump. If you are lucky something is just stuck in the pump, unfortunately alot of the time something ruins the impeller on the pump and the whole pump needs to be replaced.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Patient
    The drain hose is fine. Where is the drain pump located at on this washer? How do I take it apart?

How to replace the drain pump on a Maytag Neptune washer

The drain pump is located in the back of the washer.

First unplug the washer.

Then remove the two screws holding on the back panel.

Slide the panel up, and then pull out to remove the panel.

You should now see the pump on the left hand side. Remove the electrical connector (left red arrow).

Before removing the hose clamps, have a wet shop vac ready to suck up the water. I usually try to suck all of the water through the drain hose by putting the hose from the vacuum on the end of the drain hose and sealing the gap with my hand. If that doesn't work then slowly remove one of the drain hoses and try to suck up all of the water before removing the hose all of the way.

Once all of the water is drained out then removed both hose clamps (middle and right red arrow). You'll notice the clamps in the picture look different than the clamps that come with the washer. The clamps that come from the factory are weak and often leak, I would recommend upgrading these to worm gear style clamps while you have this apart.

Next remove the three 1/2 inch bolts holding the pump to the base of the washer (3 orange arrows).

With the pump removed look for anything stuck in the pump, and look to see that the three blades on the impeller look good. If the pump is bad, replace the pump.

Reassemble in the reverse order.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

If you need to replace the drain pump, this is the drain pump for your washer:

Drain Pump Assembly - 34001320
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Patient
    Thanks for the detailed instructions! I found a quarter stuck in my pump. I removed it and it seems to be working fine now!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    The ND error means that the washer is Not Draining. Check for any obvious things like a kinked/clogged drain hose. If that's not the case then something has gotten into the drain pump. If you are lucky something is just stuck in the pump, unfortunately alot of the time something ruins the impeller on the pump and the whole pump needs to be replaced.
    I have the same problem with the ND code. I have removed the pump & disassembled the pump. No coins or other items. Removed and cleaned residue from hoses. No large items or clogs. Upon re-assembly still get ND code. Repeated with same results. Disassembled again with the plan to bench test the pump motor. Carefully hot wired with push-on connectors and a switched outlet and pump motor works. Re-assembled and got ND code again. With ND code flashing, I carefully removed wire/ power to pump and tested - no juice. Any suggestion?

If no power is being sent to the drain pump then the main control board is most likely bad. Also, bench testing the pumps isn't always the best test since they aren't under any load. Testing the pump while it is in the washer with water to pump out is the best test. Sometimes a pump can test fine under no load but fail under load.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    If no power is being sent to the drain pump then the main control board is most likely bad. Also, bench testing the pumps isn't always the best test since they aren't under any load. Testing the pump while it is in the washer with water to pump out is the best test. Sometimes a pump can test fine under no load but fail under load.
    With the use of a service manual, I was able to get pump working. Not sure what I did that resulted in activating the pump. Went into service mode and cleared all diagnostic codes & then did each of the output tests. Doing a regular load now.

I have a similar problem, nd code, drain line clean, pump clean, went to rinse &spin mode, filled up with water, stopped washer and started over in spin only. Pump removed water great and then the drain pump started cycling on and off for over 5 minutes, i checked voltage and had 120 volts, plugged pump back in and it eventually went to nd again. What could be the issue?

We had a power surge last night due to a bad winter storm. Today when I used my washer the ND code came on, my husband took the back off and cleared both drains and verified the pump ran during a spin and rinse. When I put clothes back in, it went through the spin briefly and then the ND came back on. The door is now locked. Any ideas on what to try next?