Thread: Replacing timer - terminal posts different size

Replacing timer - terminal posts different size

Model Number: 110.8740190
    Brand: Sears Kenmore

Original timer was part number 9830465C. The part was no longer available so I got part number 3976574 which looked nearly identical as far as mounting tabs and connections. However, terminal post sizes for the OR orange wire and the WB white wire are reversed from the original part. On the old part the post for the OR wire was smaller than WB, but on the new part the post for WB is smaller than the one marked OR. The existing dryer wires have smaller terminal on the orange wire and larger terminal on the white black wire.
    I think the orange wire goes to the heater and the white black goes to the neutral, so likely it’s important to get these on the correct terminal.
    To clarify: the orange wire has small connector, but post on the new timer marked orange has large post. The only way to make the existing wires fit is to connect WB to OR and OR to WB.
    Should I just switch out the connectors on the wires, and connect them as marked (OR to OR and WB to WB). Or should I instead connect them to the correctly sized post?
    What’s the reason for the terminal sizes being different?

These two timers are not listed at interchangeable parts by the manufacturer, so I would not be able to offer any advice on this.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Understood. Nope they are not interchangeable. There is no replacement part for the 9830465. apparently the company that was remanufacturing/reconditioning them went out of business. So we are trying to sub out something similar so we can limp this dryer along until we replace it next year as part of a reno. We don't need the dryer to perform all the bells and whistles, just to come on with heat on the timed cycle.

Can you tell me, what would be the worst thing that could happen if someone were to accidentally connect the OR (heat) to the WB (neutral)? Do you know why they make the OR terminal smaller? It goes into a resistor.

Best case scenario is the timer would work and function but the cycles and cycle times won't match up with what you dryer show. Worst case is it could short out and it could potentially be a fire hazard. I am not sure why there is a difference in the size of the terminals between the two timers. I would guess that it would be best to switch out the connectors and connect them as marked.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter