Thread: Washer spins only after open/close lid

Washer spins only after open/close lid

Model Number: lsb6000pq2
    Brand: Whirlpool

I just replaced the gear and pinion in the transmission because the gear was stripped. Now, when I run a load the spin cycle does not engage. It makes a humming noise as if it is attempting to spin. I raise the lid and hear the humming slow down and when it is almost stopped it moves the basket slightly and clicks as if the brake then becomes engaged. When I lower the lid it will then spin normally. It seems as if something is not engaging the brake after the agitate and rinse mode. When I raise and lower the lid it will then work every time. I dont think it is the clutch as I just replaced that and the coupler 3 months ago. I inspected both when working on the transmission and both are in great condition and functioning fine.

While it is making the humming noise as if it is attempting to spin, is the water draining out of the washer?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

It does. Drains as normal. There is a 2 minute delay from the time it stops agitating until the motor kicks in for the spin mode. It drains the water during that time and then I hear the motor turn on, but no spin. when I open the lid the motor winds down as it is coming to a stop, then at the end the basket turns slightly as if it just engaged. Then I lower the lid and it starts the spin cycle as normal.

The transmission for your washer is a neutral drain transmission. The way this transmission is suppose to work is it will go through the agitate cycle, then pause, start the drain cycle, then pause and start the spin cycle. The way you are describing yours operating is normal for it to only drain the water at first, but after some time it should pause automatically and then start up again to start the spin cycle.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Affirmative. However when the spin cycle starts I hear the humming as if the transmission is turning but is not transferring the power to the drive shaft. It is a slightly different sound than when it is actually spinning. At this point I will open the lid and the sound starts to decelerate until it almost stops and it is if something catches right at the end (like a brake engages) and it turns the tub slightly as it "locks in". Then I can lower the lid and it will run the spin cycle as normal.

What you are describing sounds like how this neutral drive transmission normally operates. When you let it run through the cycle on its own, does the washer pause between the agitate, drain, and spin cycles?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Sorry for the delay in responding. At the suggestion of a couple of repairmen I purchased a timer. Unfortunately this did not resolve the issue. The answer to your question is yes. If I do not do anything to the washer, then it will run through all of the cycles as normal, it just will not spin during the spin cycles. I've been babysitting it last night and today after putting in the new timer. I put below the entire sequence of what happens from start to finish during this "Normal Wash" cycle.
    Start cycle.
    Tub fills completely.
    Motor and transmission start.
    Agitation cycle runs.
    Motor and transmission both stop.
    Motor starts and tub begins to drain.
    Wait about 5 seconds and then open/close lid.
    Motor and transmission start and runs through spin mode as tub empties.
    Motor and transmission both start.
    Wait 5 seconds and open and close lid and then it starts to spin.
    Tub fills (it has hit a mark on the dial that says Rinse).
    Goes into agitation mode.
    Motor and transmission start and pump drains water from tub.
    Open and close lid to engage spin mode.
    Tub empties as it is spinning.
    Motor and transmission both start.
    Open and close lid to engage spin mode.
    This spin cycle is the final stage of the cycle and the rinse comes on twice during the spin cycle before it finishes the entire cycle.

A couple of observations that I've made. When the transmission is running without the tub spinning it makes a slightly different sound. Not a bad sound or anything, but by the sound of it I can tell that it is in spin mode and not spinning the tub. It is just because I've gone through about 10 loads trying to capture every step of the cycle and exactly what is happening at each stage. It is such a slight difference in the sound I did not notice it the first couple of times that I was watching it. I don't think this means anything other than its just not engaged to spin the tub.
    Also, the first time I open the lid after it tries to move from agitation to spin/drain there is a clunk when the motor/tranny wind down as if the brake or something is "engaging". This is a normal clunk that we've always heard since we bought the washer. What is odd is that the 2nd and 3rd spin cycles where I have to open/close the lid to start the spin I hear the clunk after I close the lid. The motor and tranny stop almost immediately when I open it the 2nd and 3rd times where it seems to wind down the first time I have to open the lid. And lastly, I just noticed doing another load that it made the transition to the spin cycle successfully without having to open/close the lid. It made that clunk as it finished the second agitation mode and moved successfully to the spin mode. It seems that the problem is intermittent. We did another load where it made the transition successfully after the first agitation mode, but I had to open/close the lid the 2nd and 3rd times.

After running more loads and speaking to other professionals I was not allowing the machine enough time to switch from the agitation mode to the spin mode. There is a 2 minute delay after the agitation mode is complete (while the tub drains) and then a 3-5 second pause before the spin mode begins. It is shifting successfully to the spin mode every time after the agitation mode. It is just the final 1 or 2 spin modes where it is not spinning. Sometimes it does and sometimes it does not spin successfully without opening/closing the lid. Most times it does not.

When it does not spin is the motor still running? Does it still go through the delay/pause between the agitate, drain, and spin modes when it is not working?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Yes the motor is still running and it does go through the delay/pause both when it spins successfully and when it does not spin. I can hear the motor, but its just not spinning until I open/close the lid or push the timer in/out. Someone suggested I check the drive block and the tabs on the spinner tube. I purchases a spanner wrench and disassembled it and inspected both parts. Both parts are in good condition.

It sounds to me like there is a problem internally in the transmission. Something might not have been put back together correctly when you had it apart, or there could be another problem with the transmission. Whirlpool does sell a neutral drain kit for these transmissions, see the link below for this part.

Neutral Drain Kit - PD00002591 (mfg# 388253)
    Ryan

PartsDr.com