Thread: Icemaker issues

Icemaker issues

Model Number: MFI2665XEW6
    Brand: Maytag

Hello,
    So the ice-maker has decided to stop working...yeeaah! I have taken it apart a couple of times and have checked the dual valve...it works...I have examined the controller mechanism on the front of the tray...signs of heat damage on the plastic around female connector leading to right side of heater but not bad and everything seems to be working okay. But here's the best part...after every disassemble and reassembly the freaking ice-maker starts working for a few hours and then quits again Really would like some ice for my scotch man!
    Any thoughts

Char620

The heat damage on the plastic connector concerns me. Is this on the ice maker itself or on the wire harness that goes to the ice maker? Post up a picture if you can.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Hello Doc

Sorry for the time since my last post but whom ever was responsible for the design of, not only the ice-maker but, the entire fridge was/is a freaking moron...and being an engineer myself the stupidity and irresponsibility of the design has made me so furious and embarrassed that I have paid soooo much for this pile of $h!t!....much less that it was allowed to be produced!!

Okay so i figured out the issue. The previously mentioned heat damage was caused by a very poorly designed contact (connection) to the heating element for the ice-maker. For those who do not know the ice-maker has a heating element embedded in the ice tray that heats up to aid in the release and expulsion of the ice cubes from the tray.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	314
    As can be seen in the image the leads (copper conductors) are quite robust and can easily carry the required current for the heating element which is a high current circuit. But the actual connection of the heating element and the leads is erroneously inadequate!! The connection area is that of two very small pin sized points. So what has happened is that every time the heating element was triggered to heat up, an arc of electricity occurred. Over time the arc created a carbon build up between the contacts, which created more resistance and in turn a lager arc was created and as a result more heat from the arc. This continues until it melts the plastic to the point that the heating element is no longer in contact with copper trace or causes a fire!! or the carbon build up no longer allows the conduction of electricity, which is the one to hope for!!

The fix is simple, inexpensive and easy to preform and shouldn't take more that 15-30 minutes....if you can turn a screw driver and solder!

Just solder a 12-14 gauge wire from the copper leads to the pins of the heating element!! Problem fixed!!

Ill try to post picts of the repair at a later date.

Thanks for letting me vent...

Matt

PS I challenge Whirlpool Maytag Samsung Ect to prove me wrong....the wont cause they cant!

Thanks for posting what you found. Whirlpool has used this design on their ice makers for the heating element for a long time and I have never seen one do this before. It was probably making a bad connection from the factory and just took a while before it burned out. One other thing I would look for with the ice maker is that the heating element isn't sticking on and running for longer then it should.

If you need to replace the ice maker, this is the ice maker for your model refrigerator:

Ice Maker Assembly - Part # PD00004295 (mfg # W10377151)
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter