Thread: Buttons on MMW5530DAB20 wall oven stopped working.

Question Buttons on MMW5530DAB20 wall oven stopped working.

Model Number: MMW5530DAB20
    Brand: Maytag

We had a problem with our Maytag MMW5530DAB20 wall oven/microwave about 2 moths ago. We noticed a burned electrical smell coming when either microwave or oven were turned on. On disassembly found this burned area underneath a loose wire nut. Probably arcing from loose connection and damaged the board.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (8).jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	317

The damaged area of the board was repaired and the oven and microwave worked flawlessly for the last month. No more odors!

Now, suddenly the BAKE button, 6, 9, and the OVEN LIGHT buttons do not work. They do not beep, do not do "anything".
    The BROIL button works and the top element heats. KEEP WARM works and turns on the bottom element. Timer works. Favorites works - unfortunately we never had set favorites, so we can't bake anything!

Any suggestions?

I think your two problems are most likely unrelated. You will need to turn off the power to the oven and gain access to the touchpad ribbon cables on the back of the touchpad control panel to do an ohm test using the chart in the attached file below. If the buttons that are not working do not have continuity, then you will need to replace the touchpad control panel. Let me know what you find.

This is the touchpad control panel for your model oven:

Control Panel with Touchpad (Black) - Part # PD00004446 (mfg# 5765M432-60)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails matrix test.png  
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

We have tried to check continuity, but were not successful in getting a positive result even from tracks we know should be working appropriately. Can you steer me to a video or guide for how best to check continuity of the ribbon cable/touch pad? I think we have narrowed it down to track 10 (based on commonality), but don't see any obvious break/cracks. We also have cleaned the terminal ends with rubbing alcohol and dried.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    I think your two problems are most likely unrelated. You will need to turn off the power to the oven and gain access to the touchpad ribbon cables on the back of the touchpad control panel to do an ohm test using the chart in the attached file below. If the buttons that are not working do not have continuity, then you will need to replace the touchpad control panel. Let me know what you find.

This is the touchpad control panel for your model oven:

Control Panel with Touchpad (Black) - Part # PD00004446 (mfg# 5765M432-60)

Quote Originally Posted by ja123 View Post
    We have tried to check continuity, but were not successful in getting a positive result even from tracks we know should be working appropriately. Can you steer me to a video or guide for how best to check continuity of the ribbon cable/touch pad? I think we have narrowed it down to track 10 (based on commonality), but don't see any obvious break/cracks. We also have cleaned the terminal ends with rubbing alcohol and dried.
    I'm sorry, I don't have any videos on testing this part. Making continuity tests on the ribbon cable can be very difficult to do. It is usually best to set the ribbon cable on a flat service where you can apply pressure with the multimeter probes. If you aren't able to get any conclusive results then you have an to make an educated guess and replace the touchpad if you think it is bad.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter