Thread: GE Profile Refrigerator Freezer Stopped Cooling

GE Profile Refrigerator Freezer Stopped Cooling

Model Number: PFSS6PKXASS
    Brand: GE

A week ago I noticed that the ice maker stopped making ice and then discovered that the freezer compartment was not cold and the food was thawed out. The freezer temperature is set at -2 degrees and the display indicates that is what the current temperature is but the freezer is warm. The freezer temperature display is continually flashing at -2. I had GE service out to look at it and the tech did a reset of the circuit board and it seemed to be cooling again. He didn't want to order a bunch of parts if I didn't need them. A day later the problem is still the same, warm freezer section despite temperature display indicating -2 and the display is continually flashing. With this problem I have noticed that one of the usual operating noises is missing, a sound that was there when everything was working normally but now it's not. Maybe a compressor sound? Before I call service back out does anyone have any ideas for a self fix? Bad circuit board or overload relay? The refrigerator has been in service for 1 year 7 months.

Does the refrigerator section still cool ok?

You could have a defrost problem, where the refrigerator is not going through the automatic defrost cycle in the refrigerator. This will cause the air not to circulate and things to warm up. There is also two fans in the freezer, one for the ice maker and one for the freezer. If these fans aren't running then that could cause the problem too. If the refrigerator section is still cooling, then the compressor is probably working ok. Is the refrigerator still under warranty?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Out of warranty except for the compressor. When the GE tech was running diagnosis one of the fans was not running and after reset of the circuit board he got the fan to come back on and thought the problem was solved. He thought like I did that since the freezer actual temperature display was starting to come down that the problem had been solved but again the freezer is not cold and the temperature display is flashing at -2 degrees. The refrigerator section seems to be at the proper temperature. Something that is supposed to be running isn't because I know there is a mechanical type sound missing from when everything was working fine, not a fan sound. I do hear the fans running and can feel air blowing in the ice maker compartment the fans shut off when the freezer drawer is opened.

Your refrigerator has one compressor, and two evaporator coils (coils that do the cooling). There is one coil in the freezer and one in the refrigerator. The next thing to take a look at is the evaporator coil in the freezer. It is located in the back part of the freezer section. First you should unplug the refrigerator, then remove all of things in the freezer to give you access to the back panel. Next remove the back panel, and that should expose the evaporator coil. Plug the refrigerator back in, and let it run for 15-20 minutes. The coil should be covered in a light layer of frost at this point. If it is full of frost, this would indicate a defrost problem. If it is partially covered in frost, or not getting cold at all, then that would indicate a sealed system or compressor problem. You will need a professional to work on it if that is the case. Unplug the refrigerator before putting everything back together.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter