Thread: [FIXED] samsung dryer no heat

Patient

[FIXED] samsung dryer no heat

Model Number: DV203AES
    Brand: Samsung

At my wits end with this dryer...checked the element, thermal fuse, hi-limit thermostat, thermistor and all were in working order. So changed out the control board where the power comes in to the dryer. No heat. What is the next step to get some heat from thing? Is there a chance that the "user interface control board" is the probem? can this prevent the dryer from heating? Or am I wasting money in changing out this part? Thanks for your tips.
    Last edited by tom best; 10-19-2014 at 08:04 PM. Reason: more info

The user interface control board will not usually cause the dryer to not heat. Have you check the power supply to the dryer to make sure you have approx 240v?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Patient
    Yes, I checked to ensure the power was still coming in at 240v.On the main control board, we jumped the power lines from the relay and the element heated up. turning red. That led us to whether or not it was the user interface board.

Does the dryer come up with any error codes?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Patient
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    Does the dryer come up with any error codes?
    No, none at all. the main control panel seems to work perfectly. But I have checked and double checked the element, fuses and thermal fuses.

Have you also checked the fuse on the blower housing next to the blower fan?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Patient
    Yes, that was checked initially with the other parts

The power does run through a centrifugal switch in the motor before it goes to the heating element, but if bypassing the heater relay causes the heater to heat when the dryer is running then that should confirm that the motor is good. First check to make sure you have replaced the control board with the correct one. There is also a chance that the new control board could be defective, although it would be very rare for the new part and the old part to have the exact same problem. Sometimes the thermistor can act up intermittently, since it is an inexpensive part I would replace it just to be on the safe side. On some Samsung dryers if the thermistor fails, you have to reset the error codes before the dryer will operate correctly again. Finally you could have a wiring problem where there is a break or short in the wiring harness of the dryer somewhere.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Patient
    Thanks for all the tips......now I need to call in a technician because I can't spend any more on parts that are not the problem. I will let you know what the outcome is.

Sounds good!
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Patient
    heres the final tally on my dryer...... had a technician come over with a new elemnt assembly. Put it in and no heat. Caveat; replaced the new control assembly and new interface back with the old ones because the new ones did not make any difference. After I tried it with the original assemblies, an error code came up which DID NOT come before. the code was hE, so checked that to be possible thermistor. So, the tech comes over and puts in the element assembly, and as I said , no heat. He pulls the thermistor at the blower and says it is burnt. Puts in a new one and, low and behold, I have a dryer that works. So now I have a new control board and new interface control assembly that I cannot return to the parts place. So, I spent $250 on parts that I did not need and can't return only to have a 16 buck part the whole problem. If anyone can use those boards, please let me know and we will work out a GOOD deal for you and a loss for me. The end note from me is this: replace the cheaper parts first, rather than second. It will save you cash in the end.

Thanks for the feedback, I have updated the status of this thread to FIXED. That is strange that the error code did not show up for you originally.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Patient
    Update on this dryer. I think it is repaired but it seems to be running quite hot. This dryer has a 4 temperature control and when on Medium it seems awfully hot. What part controls the heat allotment? Is it the user interface control panel? or would it be the main control panel? I put the new main control panel in since I bought it and could not return it. Or, is it one of the thermostats? This could be another problem that tied in with the original one. Thanks for your advice.

The temperature in the dryer is controlled by the main control board and the thermistor. To accurately measure the temperature of the dryer, it is best to measure the exhaust air temperature. Have you checked all of the venting to make sure it is not restricted?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Patient
    The venting system is definitely clear. What is the highest temperature that should be found when I measure it? I did replace the thermal fuse on the blower housing because it blew 2 days after I replaced the thermistor. Also, I put in the new control board since I had it and could not return it. Does the heating element cycle on and off to reduce the temperatures or does it just not heat up as much?

The heating element is cycled on and off by the control board to reach the temperature. I have not seen Samsung publish the exhaust temperatures for their dryers. Have you checked to see if the heating element is shorted, see the video below for instructions?

Ryan

PartsDr.com

Patient
    Well, the dryer was heating but still quite hot. Then in Mid January, the dryer would not start. It turned out to be the thermal fuse on the blower assembly. Since then, I have put in 2 more thermal fuses in the blower assembly after 2 more non-starts. Both replacement fuses lasted between 1 and 3 weeks of use, as I was away for some time. Obviously, something else is wrong with this machine. Before I put in another fuse, do you have any suggestions that I could check out for a problem source? So the main control board and the main user interface control board are both new, and those parts here in Canada cost about $125 each. So at this point I'm ready to throw this anchor into the river. Please, any suggestions..........thanks very much.

How far does the exhaust venting for the dryer run out of your house?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Patient
    it is an 8 foot run of 4" rigid ducting and is very clean.

From what you have posted, it sounds like you have replaced all of the components that relate to the heating cycle on the dryer. One of the parts that you replaced could be bad, or there could be a short or break in one of the dryers wiring harnesses that is causing the problem.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com