Thread: Dishwasher has power to buttons but won't start

Dishwasher has power to buttons but won't start

Model Number: 665.13483k900
    Brand: Sears Kenmore

I have a dishwasher that was doing this:

The lights on the front panel always worked, but it wouldn't start.

So I opened it up and tested both switches. Now that I've done that, the lights don't turn on half the time. So I tested the power going in, and there's current going thru.

When I look at the inside of the top section, I see the 4 connectors to the 2 switches. Both switches show 0 Ohms resistance when pushed, so I don't think the switches are the problem. When I put the multimeter on each connector, the 2 on the left switch don't ever have current, the 3rd one always has 110, and the 4th one reads 110 when the switch is depressed (otherwise it's at 0).

It looks like the power is going from the switch that has current over to the control panel (Following the 2 that have current--they end up as the 4th and 5th wires from the right side on the control panel).

Anybody have any idea what I should do, or what I should check between the first switch and the 2nd switch? I have a picture that I tried to upload, but I get an error that my .jpg file didn't upload--no description of why, just that it failed.

Thanks,

Ivey

One last thing...seems like almost every time that it "magically" has power when I manually push the switch assembly to simulate closing the door is the first time in a few minutes. Is there any sort of a capacitor that might be worn out and slowly builds up a charge? That might explain the whole "I'll turn on once but never again" behavior I've been seeing since I opened it up.

Usually the lights will light up on the control panel even if the door switches are not working. When the dishwasher does turn on do all of the buttons on the control panel work correctly and light up when pressed?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Reply: No lights

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    Usually the lights will light up on the control panel even if the door switches are not working. When the dishwasher does turn on do all of the buttons on the control panel work correctly and light up when pressed?
    No, they do not work...and actually I just did it again. The machine came to life the first time I manually pushed the switch mechanism down, but none of the lights came on. So I let it run for about 20 seconds, but no water came anywhere. Then either my hand slipped or it just stopped doing stuff, I couldn't tell which.

But no, no lights on the front of the panel.

It sounds like you probably have a bad touchpad. First locate the tech sheet for your dishwasher by removing the bottom panel of the dishwasher, it is located on the back side. Follow the directions on the section labeled "CHECKING KEYPAD OPERATION". Let me know what you find. Also, what color is the touchpad on your dishwasher?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

It's black. So I went into the checking keypad operation part of the tech sheet and it said to check the connector pins for broken or corroded traces, loose connections or corrosion anywhere on the board. There was no evidence of any of that--everything is dry, tightly connected, and no evidence of shorts (like burn marks).

For what it's worth, while I was looking stuff up, did the Service Diagnostic cycle steps (click Heated Dry - Normal - Heated Dry - Normal), the Heated Dry and Normal lights come on, but nothing happens in the dishwasher...so I'm getting power to at least 2 of the lights on the front panel some of the time.

Thanks for your help,

Ivey

Did you perform the test below?
    CHECKING KEYPAD OPERATION

A rapidly blinking LED over one of the keys of the keypad (or sometimes a “dead” keypad/console) indicates one or more key switch lines are stuck or shorted on either the control or the keypad. To determine if the control or keypad is faulty, do the following test:

1. Unplug dishwasher or disconnect power.
    2. Open the dishwasher door.
    3. Open console and disconnect the keypad ribbon connection from the control (at P1). Make sure all other connections are made.
    4. Put console back together. Do not close the dishwasher door.
    5. Plug in dishwasher or reconnect power.
    6. Wait 5 seconds.
    7. Close dishwasher door.
    8. Monitor the control’s response:

• If the control is OK (no longer sees shorts with the keypad unplugged), it will respond by turning on a Drain Motor for 2 minutes. Check and/or replace the keypad if the control responds OK.

• If the control is not OK (still sees shorts with the keypad unplugged), then the drain motor will NOT respond and will remain off. If no response, replace the control.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Did you perform the test below?
    Yes, I did perform that test, and the motor did NOT come on. I didn't mention that test, since there wasn't any flashing LED, so that seemed like a false-positive.

Seems to me that the power is going thru one door switch then disappearing somewhere in the control board and not returning to the 2nd door switch.

Quote Originally Posted by pktivey View Post
    Yes, I did perform that test, and the motor did NOT come on. I didn't mention that test, since there wasn't any flashing LED, so that seemed like a false-positive.

Seems to me that the power is going thru one door switch then disappearing somewhere in the control board and not returning to the 2nd door switch.
    The test is supposed to determine if your keypad has a short or not. The result of the test is determined by whether the drain pump motor is turned on or not, not by any blinking lights. If you performed the test correctly, then that would indicate that you have a bad control board.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

The test is supposed to determine if your keypad has a short or not. The result of the test is determined by whether the drain pump motor is turned on or not, not by any blinking lights. If you performed the test correctly, then that would indicate that you have a bad control board.
    Sweet! I'll run the test again to be sure, but it definitely didn't come on. Can you give me a part number or a link to buy a new control board for my model 665.13483k900?

We generally see a much higher failure rate of the touchpad, but the control board failing can also cause the dishwasher to act up in a similar manner. We have also seen in some cases where both parts can be bad.

These are the parts for your model dishwasher:

Main Control Board - Part # PD00003182 (mfg # W10084141)

Touchpad Control Panel (Black) - Part # PD00005970 (mfg # 8558208)
    Ryan

PartsDr.com