Thread: Dryer, All Lights Flash, No Error Code, Replaced Thermistor

Dryer, All Lights Flash, No Error Code, Replaced Thermistor

Model Number: GLEQ2152ES0
    Brand: Hotpoint

Pulling hair out. Dryer sometimes heats, sometimes doesn't. All lights flash, no error code is indicated. Replaced thermistor as that fixed it about a year ago (same issue we think with all lights flashing). New thermistor did not fix the issue. All lights flash after dryer runs for over half the timed cycle. Tried it with auto-dry modes and it does the same thing. I was able to get into the diagnostic mode but no error codes were displayed. Now I cannot find the instructions to get into the diagnostic mode again but I don't expect to find an error code even if I do. Nothing has changed. Element checks out fine. Thermistor didn't help and bench tested OK (old one was out of range for continuity so was hopeful that would fix the problem). HELP......

EDIT: Could it be the control panel board?
    Last edited by jwood1308; 11-18-2014 at 02:06 PM. Reason: More info, question

I would first check the dryer for error codes, see the directions below. There should also be a service sheet inside the dryer that has this information. Let us know what you find.

Reading Error Codes:

1. Digital Readout Display Models: Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise (3) settings from the Normal cycle option.

2. Press and hold the Select and Pause Cancel buttons simultaneously for six seconds.

3. Immediately after, press and hold the START and Pause Cancel buttons simultaneously for 4 seconds.

4. Digital Readout Display Models: rotate the timer knob (1) click counterclockwise. The error code will appear in the digital display.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

So, I was successful in pulling an E5b code. On the tech sheet I found online, it says the check the relay on the control board. I checked and got 120VAC. Tech Sheet says this:

"Position cycle selector to NORMAL, temperature selector to HIGH heating) touch START. Measure voltage across terminals on relay RL2 (heater relay) on electronic control. If meter reads 240V on electric models and 120V on gas models, replace electronic control. If meter reads zero, remove power from dryer. Disconnect wire going to NO terminal on the relay RL2. Reconnect power and measure voltage drop between terminal COM on relay RL2 and neutral. If meter reads zero, wire between incoming line and relay RL2 is open. If meter reads 120V, check the rest of the heater circuit"

EDIT: Heating element sometimes heats, sometimes doesn't and this was before I replaced the thermistor and after. Makes me think the element is not the issue, but could it be that it works and then doesn't. Checked the High Limit Thermostat and it has continuity at room temp. Checked the heating element for continuity. It is fine. Put it back together, fired it up and now it is heating, UGH. During the course of taking the damn thing apart, I unplugged the connections to the control panel, the high limit thermostat and the elements to ensure continuity. Also checked the high limit thermostat and the element to make sure they were not contacting a ground (assumed not as no breakers tripped).
    Last edited by jwood1308; 11-18-2014 at 10:50 PM. Reason: update

If it is working now, you will have to wait until it stops working again to diagnose the problem. Sometimes a bad control board can act up intermittently or a bad electrical connection on the power cord where the dryer isn't always receiving 240v. If it starts to act up again and you find what is causing the problem, please update us and let us know.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter