Thread: [FIXED] Samsung Dryer DV328AEW/XAA - no heat - please help!

Unhappy [FIXED] Samsung Dryer DV328AEW/XAA - no heat - please help!

Model Number: DV328AEW/XAA
    Brand: Samsung

I just found this forum, so I'm REALLY hoping someone can help me out!

Basically, I screwed up... badly. I have a Samsung DV328AEW/XAA that has been working FINE. However, I had an issue with my matching washing machine that required I replace the drain pump and (eventually) the PCB (which was the actual issue). In doing that, I had to remove my stacked machines, which required that I unhook the electrical cable from the back of the dryer.

You see where this is going... when I plugged them back up, it was dark behind the dryer and I hooked up black-to-black, red-to-white, and white-to-red (instead of b/b, r/r/, w/w). I didn't realize this... put it all back together, plugged the washer in, flipped the breaker, and listened to the box buzz while my wife said sparks flew from the plug in the wall.

Of course, I immediately knew what I'd done. I moved everything back out and found the incorrect wiring. I corrected it, plugged it back up, and flipped the breaker back on. This time was good, and to my surprise the dryer powered on. I did a quick test and it went threw the cycles. It has completed drying cycles with no issues, and no error codes.

Unfortunately, it won't heat and I don't know where to start. Dryers are a lot more complicated than washers, it appears...

Any help you folks can provide will be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Supermike; 11-20-2014 at 10:48 AM.

Usually hooking up the power wires incorrectly on these will fry one or more of the control boards. Since you saw sparks come from the plug in the wall, have you checked to make sure that there is 240v going to the dryer? If you are missing one side of the 240v it will allow the dryer to power on with 120v and run but not heat. If the power input is good, then next check the thermostats/fuses (two are on the side of the element and one is on the blower housing), and heating element for continuity (see the video below). If those are good then next ohm out the thermistor on the blower housing (see instructions here). If all out those check out, then you should start first by replacing the main control board. Let me know what you find.

This is the main control board for your model dryer:

Main Control Board - Part # PD00002079 (mfg # MFS-DV327L-00)
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Thanks for the reply, Doc Ryan... I had to freshen up on using my multi-meter last night. For me, sticking those prongs into a 240v outlet still feels like I'm sticking a fork into it. LOL! I found a good video online on testing everything from the breaker to the outlet, cord, and where the cord connects to the dryer. I'll do that tonight. If everything checks out there, I'll move on to the heating element. I'll keep you posted!

Thanks,
    Mike

Sounds good!
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    Since you saw sparks come from the plug in the wall, have you checked to make sure that there is 240v going to the dryer? If you are missing one side of the 240v it will allow the dryer to power on with 120v and run but not heat.
    Nailed it!

Checked everything out and was only getting 80/40 on the outlet. Replaced the outlet, but that was not it. Pulled the breaker and tested and only one side was testing out. Replaced the breaker and (fortunately!) the dryer is heating again!

Thanks a lot for the pointers!! Glad it was not my heating element, fuses, etc.!

Great to hear that fixed the problem! I have updated the status of this thread to FIXED. Many people overlook the simple things, so it is always a good idea to start there.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    Many people overlook the simple things, so it is always a good idea to start there.
    Yep... it never crossed my mind that the dryer could still "run on one leg", so to speak... I figured it needed 240 or nothing, but it makes sense in hindsight.

Thanks again!