Thread: Ice maker does not keep ice frozen and it takes very long to make it.

Question Ice maker does not keep ice frozen and it takes very long to make it.

Model Number: PSC25NSWC
    Brand: GE

First of all, I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving break!

No the problem.

I have a GE Profile Model PSC25NSWC SS 24.6 Cubic Feet Side by Side. The ice maker is enclosed (see photo below) and take very long long to make one set of ice, upwards to a day or more. It only really make ice over night if the freezer door is not opened at all. Then the ice melts in 2-3 days later and begins to drip all over the rest of the freezer. The rest of the freezer remains cold and the food stays frozen. The only issue is the ice maker. I am not sure how the cold air to the freezer is distributed but I believe it is the ice maker is not getting a fair portion of that cold air. I do not know how to fix this. I would appreciate any advice. Thank you!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00l0l_2rXP0B1OWKY_600x450.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	326Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00q0q_hcEDXED5u5s_600x450.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	327

There is a fan in the back of the freezer that circulates the cold air. If the freezer is not going through the automatic defrost cycle then frost can build on up on the evaporator coil and block the air flow to the fan motor. Unplug the refrigerator and remove the bottom back panel inside the freezer and check to see if the evaporator coil is full of frost.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Hi Ryan,

Than you! You were right! I removed the back panel and the coil was full of frost all over the tips. I took a blow dryer and melted the frost then put the panel back on and now cold air is coming from the top again. How can i fix the automatic defrost cycle permanently? Thank you.

There are four defrost components on these refrigerators, and any one of these or sometimes more than one of these can cause the refrigerator not to go through the automatic defrost cycle. The defrost heater, thermistor, and thermostat are all located behind the back panel in freezer section. The main control board is located on the back side of the refrigerator. Make sure the refrigerator is unplugged before working on it. Let me know what you find.

Main Control Board - If the components below check out okay, then replace the main control board.

Defrost Heater - Unplug Refrigerator and disconnect the wires to the defrost heater. Check for continuity.

Defrost Thermistor - Click here for information on how to test the thermistor. We recommend replacing this as a maintenance item even if it checks out okay.

Defrost Thermostat - Click here for a youtube video on how to test the defrost thermostat.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter