Thread: LG/Kenmore washer dead, wiggled line filter wires, then alive - am I done?

LG/Kenmore washer dead, wiggled line filter wires, then alive - am I done?

Model Number: 41172
    Brand: Sears Kenmore

Hi - This Kenmore (by LG) washer worked great and is well maintained. Today it ran a load and then when we tried to run a second load and it was completely dead.A/C power was fine. Based on what I read online I opened it, disconnected the output of the line filter (first place A/C power goes inside) and tested the output of the line filter with a Multitester. It looked good. So I re-connected the connector, and even though it was unplugged, the water pump ran briefly, so I plugged it back into A/C and it came back to life.

My theory is that the electronics needed to be power-cycled, but the line-filter was maintaining a low-voltage, so disconnecting the line filter output from the washer reset the electronics.

Am I done? Should I replace the line filter? Any/all thoughts welcome - thanks!
    /j
    Last edited by jeffw_00; 01-11-2015 at 12:34 PM.

The model number that you provided is not a valid model number. Can you double check it for me? Make sure to get the full model number from the tag on the washer. Sometimes disconnecting power to the machine can reset it and fix the problem. I would try using the washer since it is working now and see if it acts up again. If the washer is less than a year old it is probably still under the manufactures warranty.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

41172211 is what's on the sticker. When I bought it they just referred to it as model 41172. It's a 2012 model. Unplugging briefly didn't help, but since unplugging the electronics from the line filter did help, perhaps unplugging it for a longer period of time might have also worked.

I think I found your full model number, 796.41172210. Probably the next thing to check is when the washer is working to see if power is still being supplied to the main control board.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

I don't think I understand. If the washer is working I would expect there to be power supplied to the main control board.
    /j

Sorry, I meant when the washer is not working.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Well, last time I checked the power coming out of the line filter to the electronics and that was fine, and disconnecting that wire allowed the electronics to reset....

So you have already performed a voltage test at the main control board while the washer was not powering up?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

yes, i measured the voltage out of the line filter that feeds the electronics.

Check for anything obvious like a loose connection or a break in the wiring somewhere. If the washer is receiving approx 120v to the main control board but it is not powering up then I would start by replacing the main control board. There is a possibility that the user interface control board could be bad but it is much more common for the main control board to be bad.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

ok thanks - ran a 2nd week of laundry without issue so I'm probably ok for now