Thread: GE French Door Refrigerator Upper Ice/Water Dispense don't work (bottom does)

GE French Door Refrigerator Upper Ice/Water Dispense don't work (bottom does)

Model Number: PFE29hmdaes
    Brand: GE

Hi, hoping you can help with this. I have a GE French door refrigerator with an ice maker in the lower freezer that works fine, but the water and ice in the door are not working. Lights up and the makes noise, but nothing comes out and no ice is being made. This started around a week after replacing the filter with the bypass. I think the filter is ok since the bottom ice works.

I opened the access panel on the door and see the valve and the water tank. Tried to defrost the water tank as it seemed very cold but don't think that helped. Disconnected the tubes going to and from the water tank and water did not come out from either one. I would have though the inflow would have flowed.

Any suggestions for diagnosing? Though something might be frozen but went at the water tank with heater for a while and not sure about the rest of the tube.

Thank you, I appreciate any suggestions you may have.

You model number is not coming up as a valid model number. Can you double check it for me please?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    You model number is not coming up as a valid model number. Can you double check it for me please?
    Sorry about that, Model is GFE29HMDAES, it's a GE Adora model with dual ice makers.

Bottom ice maker works fine but dispenser in left refrigerator door does not work. If there should be a steady flow of water into the water tank, I don't think any water is flowing there. There is water going in and out of the filter, demonstrated by the bottom ice maker working.

Any suggestions for me to try?

This refrigerator has three separate water valves that control the flow of water in the refrigerator. Two of the water valves are on the back of the refrigerator and one looks to be inside the refrigerator section or in the door of the refrigerator with the ice maker/dispenser. One of these valves could be bad or you could have a frozen water line somewhere. You could unplug the refrigerator and trace the water lines to see where they go. If possible remove the line from both ends and blow through it to make sure it is not frozen somewhere. Finding where the problem at on this refrigerator is probably going to take some time.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

This refrigerator has three separate water valves that control the flow of water in the refrigerator. Two of the water valves are on the back of the refrigerator and one looks to be inside the refrigerator section or in the door of the refrigerator with the ice maker/dispenser. One of these valves could be bad or you could have a frozen water line somewhere. You could unplug the refrigerator and trace the water lines to see where they go. If possible remove the line from both ends and blow through it to make sure it is not frozen somewhere. Finding where the problem at on this refrigerator is probably going to take some time.
    Thank you for the response. I'm thinking one of the valves in the back would be used before the water is sent to the water filter and the other for the lower ice maker in the freezer. It looks like water is being sent to the filter and onward to the freezer where it makes ice. If that is the case, would those 2 valves be fine?

Thinking I will disconnect the tubing that goes from the filter over the refrigerator door to confirm there is a good flow of water. I should be able to disconnect in the door where it comes in at the access panel and try to blow through it. May be long tubing so not sure if that would be effective. If nothing comes out, would you think that tube froze in the door? Would there be an alternative to unplugging and opening?

One more thing, this occurred around a week after replacing the filter with the bypass filter as we have filtered water going in. Still think the filter bypass is working fine as the bottom ice maker seems to work as expected.

If this occurred the same time you installed the filter bypass then I would guess it is related to that. It could be that the bottom ice maker water is not filtered. Make sure the water filter bypass is installed correctly. If that is good, then the water filter head that the filter/bypass attaches to could be bad. See this thread for more information on this problem.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

If this occurred the same time you installed the filter bypass then I would guess it is related to that. It could be that the bottom ice maker water is not filtered. Make sure the water filter bypass is installed correctly. If that is good, then the water filter head that the filter/bypass attaches to could be bad. See this thread for more information on this problem.
    Thanks again for the quick response. This occurred around a week after changing out the filter, I too am suspicious that is causing it.

My understanding is that both the door dispenser and the lower ice maker get filtered water. There is a Y-shaped coupler from the filter sending water up and over towards the door and down towards the freezer. Freezer makes plenty of ice. Would that imply that the filter should be flowing ok?

I'm attaching a picture of what the tubes look like going to the filter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adora back.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	341

Well. looks like I fixed it. Took the inlet tube off the valve. Didn't realize the inlet was going to the valve as opposed to the water tank. Blew in it as you suggested but as the other end was connected, not sure it did anything. Reconnected and a few minutes later realized it was working. Now have water and ice out of the door dispenser. Thank you very much for your assistance, much appreciated! Have a great weekend.

I am glad it is working again. I am not sure what fixed the problem, but hopefully it doesn't act up again!
    Ryan

PartsDr.com