Thread: [FIXED] Whirlpool Duet Dryer Intermittent Heat Issue

[FIXED] Whirlpool Duet Dryer Intermittent Heat Issue

Model Number: WED9400SW0
    Brand: Whirlpool

Hi, this is my first posting on this forum and I did find a similar thread but it did not answer my question and since the thread was from 2010 I decided to post my own....

My Whirlpool Duet dryer is approximatley 6 years old and I noticed today the "normal" dry cycle was taking excessively long and was cold. It is used on normal setting 95% of the time. I tried it on the normal cycle and the heavy duty cycle and could not get heat.

The dryer is connected to a double pole breaker so I eliminated one leg being bad. My exhaust vent is always flowing well and is not clogged. I tested for continuity on the electric coil, the coil thermal fuse and thermostat, the thermal fuse in the exhaust and checked resistance on the thermistor. Everything was normal and I put everything back together, tried a the dryer again and still no heat. I figured I might be heading down the road of replacing the control board. Out of frustration, I took everything apart again retested to find the same normal results. I put everything back together again put it on heavy duty cycle and the heat started working again. Tried the normal cycle again and it worked too.

I wasn't sure if anyone has experienced similar issues and later discovered the actual problem and I did have a few specific questions:

1. Can the thermistor be intermittently bad and if it is going bad can it cause the heat to not work at all?
    2. Can the control board appear to be normally working but be the route cause of the no heat problem or does the board go bad altogether and not work at all.
    3. Do you normally get an error code if the thermistor is bad or one of the fuses or thermostats go bad (I found conflicting info and did see several error codes in user manual).
    4. What do the smaller red wires that go to the thermal fuse on the coil do?
    5. Can the coil thermostat stop working intermittently?

Update: So as I was typing this the dryer heat has gone off again so its definitely something going bad intermittently.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by toille27; 02-01-2015 at 02:54 PM.

Ok, so I figured out the problem and even though it makes me feel stupid to post this here I will do so to possibly save someone else some time. It turned out to be the plug and wall outlet not having good contact. I jiggled the plug and the heating elements suddenly came back on. When I removed the plug from the outlet I found the heating element leg had some minor corrosion due to arcing so I cleaned up the terminals flexed them out just a hint and put some dielectric grease on the terminals and all is good again. I didn't realize a plug can do that after six years. Live and learn.

Thanks for the update, I have updated the status of this thread to FIXED. Depending on how bad the arcing the plug and outlet is, it would probably be a good idea to replace the cord and outlet.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter