Thread: [FIXED] Kitchenaid Dishwasher Rinse and Cancel lights blink - no operation

Question [FIXED] Kitchenaid Dishwasher Rinse and Cancel lights blink - no operation

Model Number: KUDM01FK
    Brand: KitchenAid

Have a problem with my 12 yr old Kitchenaid KUDM01FK stainless steel version. The control panel Rinse LED flashes, pressing Cancel illuminates cancel light. Other than that dishwasher does not start. Removed power for 5 mins, tried the reset sequence- makes no diff. I suspect the control board or keypad. Here is what I did so far:

I took board and keypad out. With an ohm meter I tested continuity on all switches on keypad; all show open and when key pressed show closed so no stuck keys; I also checked all diodes and all are operating correct (blocked one way and open the other way when tested with + and - leads of ohm meter).

I checked continuity present correctly on ribbon cable between keypad and control board and cable checked out fine.

Is there anything else I should check before I say for sure its the control board? (I ordered one anyways from PartDr; may as well replace with the new version). There is no tech sheet behind kick panel. Any link to one would be appreciated as well.

Thanks for any inputs/insights,

S

I believe I found the tech sheet for this dishwasher, you can download it here. From reading the tech sheet, it sounds like your problem might be caused by a stuck key.

This is what the tech sheet says about the stuck key error message:
    STUCK KEY: If the control detects that a key is stuck in the depressed position, dishwasher operation will be suspended and the control will flash the light for that key until the condition is corrected. If a key without a light is stuck or multiple keys are stuck, the control will flash the light for the Rinse Only/Quick Rinse key.
    If the user interface board is good and none of the keys are stuck, they it could be the main control board that is bad. Let us know what you find.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    I believe I found the tech sheet for this dishwasher, you can download it here. From reading the tech sheet, it sounds like your problem might be caused by a stuck key.

This is what the tech sheet says about the stuck key error message:

If the user interface board is good and none of the keys are stuck, they it could be the main control board that is bad. Let us know what you find.
    Thanks Ryan! I ordered the control board at PartsDr as I am pretty positive the user interface board switches, diodes and ribbon cable are good (tested using ohm meter). I will update this post once I receive the board and install it. Thank you for your quick response and link to tech sheet (I could not download tech sheet as it needs a pswd at whirlpool).

S.

I correct the download link to the tech sheet, try it again.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Thank you! The link worked and tech sheet is very helpful!

I got the control board (grey plastic box with circuit board in it) from PartsDr (shipped and received in no time, thank you!) and swapped that in. That fixed the problem straightaway; however I saw the interface board has been severely revised from the original one in 2002 so I went ahead and replaced that anyway.

Process was fairly easy:
    1. unplug appliance
    2. take out screws on inside door panel
    3. outer door panel swings out enough, reach in and unplug all wires (don't worry they only go one way back so you wont mix up connectors, but take a photo if it makes you feel better!)
    4. wires to thermal fuse are interchangeable (either one can go on either plug) so no need to mark which is which
    5. unhook door latch assembly gently on either side (plastic tabs, be careful)
    6. slide whole door width wide plastic box (black color in my case) out.
    7. remove ribbon connector gently from control board (grey box)
    8. remove grey circuit board box and look closely at circuit board front and make sure no water damage, arcing, blackening
    9. remove thermal fuse gently by prying plastic tab
    10. check underside of board as well after popping it out, mine had black streaks near some components and browning showing heat damage
    11. put back old thermal fuse into new grey plastic box
    12. reconnect ribbon cable to new control board and snap it into large plastic box
    13. reconnect all connectors
    14. reverse assembly process and you are good to go.

If you are swapping out the user interface board (I recommend it as newer one is way more revised than the older one (where the old one had straight jumpers, the newer one has diodes), gently pop that out from black plastic box and reconnect ribbon connector on that end. Make sure you verify ribbon connector looks in good shape, no cracks or water damage in connector etc.

Thats it!

Thanks for the update and sharing the detailed instructions. I have updated the status of this thread to FIXED.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com