Thread: Samsung Front-Loader - Boot Repair / Cause of problem?

Patient

Samsung Front-Loader - Boot Repair / Cause of problem?

Model Number: WF218ANW
    Brand: Brand

Thanks in advance for any help with this!

Had a wash finish, and when I went to put it in the dryer noticed it smelled like smoke/burning rubber. Emptied it out to find a bunch of small grey rubber balls in the tub.

I then noticed the boot seal was melted around the edge with a rip in it towards the top.

I found a nice Youtube video, and took everything apart. Once the boot was removed I noticed the stainless tub does not spin evenly within the outer plastic tub. I read some forums, and many people complained of a broken bearing or drive-shaft causing the inner tub to smash and rub against the outer tub, but they all described shredded white plastic in their stainless tub.

I guess my only question is "should" the inner tank spin completely even within the plastic outer-tub, or is it normal to be have a some wobble?

We never have wobbling noise except for a short time while it winds up, and a short time while it winds down (since it was new). It never, including this last time, has a sustained out-of-balance knocking noise. The moments were so short I figured it was normal.

I orderred the new seal, but have to wonder if I'm going to put it in, run one load and end up with another shredded seal. On the other hand, maybe something had gotten caught between the door and seal? Maybe my wife overloaded it on one run that cause the seal to rip?

I see no indication anywhere that the stainless tub is scraping away at the plastic outerr-tub.

I included two photos that show the shift in the inner-basket position. Look carefully at the distance between the inner and outer tub at the top of the top, then compare the distance when I spin it 180 degrees.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0599.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	344Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0600.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	343

Again, any help is greatly appreciated. I apologize if this was too long and wordy, just wanted to include as much info as possible.

Thanks,
    Justin

Patient
    I'd also like to add, there is no 'play' or looseness in the inner tub itself (ie, some videos explained if bearings are bad the tub will be loose). It's not loose.

-Justin

Quote Originally Posted by jvaruzzo View Post
    I guess my only question is "should" the inner tank spin completely even within the plastic outer-tub, or is it normal to be have a some wobble?
    Justin,

The tub should not have any wobble in it. If it does then like you found in your research you could have failed rear bearings or a broken flange shaft assembly on the back of the inner basket. I would not replace the gasket unless you address the other problems first.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Patient
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    Justin,

The tub should not have any wobble in it. If it does then like you found in your research you could have failed rear bearings or a broken flange shaft assembly on the back of the inner basket. I would not replace the gasket unless you address the other problems first.
    Thanks for the info! I've learned so much about washing machines in the past few days. I did fully disassemble everything (including the tub). As countless others have experienced, the flange shaft cracked. It was causing the basket to knock into the tub and burned up the rubber seal.

I read in several places that when this happens, you should replace the bearings as a precaution as the shift in weight could of damaged the bearings. I also read many places that Samsung does not sell the bearings separately, only as part of the tub assembly ($200), adding in the spider ($130, rubber seal ($60), tub seal ($15) plus labor makes the repair a bust.

However, I found a seller who sells compatible bearing kits for $60 on Ebay. I purchased the spider, bearing kit, tub seal, and rubber door seal. About $250 all-in, and I already have everything apart, it's just a matter of cleaning it up and putting it back together. $250 didn't seem to bad a deal to salvage a machine we actually really enjoy the style and performance.

I did accidentally snap a shock while removing the tub from the frame, but was able to add that in for $12.

I will follow up with some pictures and how it goes in the next week or two, in case anyone else desires to take on such a project.

Thanks again for the help!

-Justin

Sounds good!
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter