Thread: [FIXED] Frigidaire electric range cooktop turns on by itself

[FIXED] Frigidaire electric range cooktop turns on by itself

Model Number: FPES3085KFA
    Brand: Frigidaire

I woke up one morning to the large burner on the ceramic cook top on. The switch was off and I could not turn it off. It is now off at the breaker. I found a recall for this issue but does not include my model and serial number. Even though the photo looks like my range, it fits the time period of manufacture and describes the problem exactly. Anyway...does anyone have an idea what part might be causing this issue?

On this stove there is a relay power control board that controls the power going to the burners on your stove. If the burner is staying on even when the switch is turned off then you most likely have a bad relay control board that is constantly sending power to the burner. Let us know what you find.

This is the relay control board for your model stove:

Relay Power Control Board - Part # PD00008249 (mfg # 316442119)
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Thanks Ryan,
    Would that also cause the burner to turn on by itself? Is there a way to test the relay power control board to confirm that is the issue?

Yes, this would cause the burner to stay on even though the burner switch is turned off. To verify the relay power control board is bad I would unplug the range, and then disconnect all of the wire plugs to the relay board and leave the row of 1/4" spade terminal wires connected (it should be 14 wires). Once you have done this, put the stove back together and reconnect the power. If the burner still continues to stay on then replace the relay power control board.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Thanks Ryan,
    I can not figure out exactly where the control board is located from the exploded view. Could you let me know where it is. ( I also have a burner that I purchased from you that needs to be installed too.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    Yes, this would cause the burner to stay on even though the burner switch is turned off. To verify the relay power control board is bad I would unplug the range, and then disconnect all of the wire plugs to the relay board and leave the row of 1/4" spade terminal wires connected (it should be 14 wires). Once you have done this, put the stove back together and reconnect the power. If the burner still continues to stay on then replace the relay power control board.

I sent you private message with a link to download the service manual for this stove. Click the link at the top right of the page that says Notifications to view this. The manufacture does not state where this control board is located, I am guessing it is probably on the back side of the stove. Let me know what you find.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    I sent you private message with a link to download the service manual for this stove. Click the link at the top right of the page that says Notifications to view this. The manufacture does not state where this control board is located, I am guessing it is probably on the back side of the stove. Let me know what you find.
    Well Ryan, Here's what I found...you were right, the control board is on the back of the stove. It was bad and had a electrical burn mark on one of the relays. I traced that back to the cook top where I thought one of the burners was burnt out but found something entirely different. The metal support plate that was glued to the glass top had failed. The springs holding the burners pulled the metal plate toward the exposed burner connector wires which caused an electrical flash while I was cooking, which is why I thought the burner had failed. All in all I had to replace the glass top, the control relay and the large burner, all due to faulty manufacturing. It was an expensive job, I am not happy with frigidaire, but love Parts Dr.
    Thanks Ryan for all your help.

Thanks for taking the time to update us. That is quite the cascading effect of problems you had with the stove! I have updated the status of this thread to FIXED.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com