Thread: Kenmore Ultra Dishwasher heaterworking intermittingly

Question Kenmore Ultra Dishwasher heaterworking intermittingly

Model Number: 655.17033402
    Brand: Sears Kenmore

A couple of months ago, I began to smell something burning while the dishwasher was running. I checked the load and there was nothing on the heating element. Read online that it could be the pump burning out, so i cleaned out the dishwasher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRCCr...81E2A8C5057114

The smell came back a few times and then I began to get the clean light flashing 7 times. I reset the dishwasher and it began to work intermittently. After googling the problem I bought a new element, with the same results. I ran a diagnostic and it didn't detect a short in the thermister. I was about the purchase a new one anyway when I opened up the control panel. I found some burned marks and a spot about the size of dime where the cover began to melt. I've ordered a new control panel.

What would cause this to go bad? I looked at the wiring and it appears to be in good shape. I'm afraid that it may burn out again.

It is common for a control board to burn out on its own. There are many things that can affect the control board failing, some one them include a power surge, bad wire connection (causes high amp draw), shorted heating element, and more. Keep an eye on the dishwasher, but everything is probably okay.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Smile

Thanks, Ryan. It's about 6-8 years old and the only trouble has been not cleaning well leading up to the issue. Thanks for your help.

Depending on how clogged up the pump was on the dishwasher, it could have put extra stress on the heating circuit of the dishwasher causing it to fail. If the pump is clogged up, it will take the water longer to heat up to the proper temperature.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter