Thread: [FIXED] Intermittent 3E Error Code on Samsung Top Load Washer

[FIXED] Intermittent 3E Error Code on Samsung Top Load Washer

Model Number: WA400PJHDWR/AA
    Brand: Samsung

I have a 2.5 year old Samsung top load washer (model # WA400PJHDWR/AA) that is giving me a 3E error code. The washer will work normally about half of the time. However, it will often stop mid spin/rinse cycle and give me a 3E code. Sometimes I can start it back up after turning the washer on and off, and sometimes it continues to give the error code.

According to the technical manual, the 3E code means: "MICOM is attempting to drive the motor but is not getting any response signals from the hall sensor. Visual check shows that the motor is not running (Locked, defective hall sensor or overload). Corrective action: evaluate the wire harness for loose or unhooked connections. Go to quick test mode and test motor."

I had a local washer repair guy come out to run diagnostics and he was suspicious of a bad hall sensor.

You can't buy the hall sensor alone, so I purchased and installed the motor assembly (Part #PD00006606) through your website. The drain pump had broken off of the bottom of this washer previously (and was currently attached with multiple zip ties), so I also purchased and installed the updated drain pump kit (Part #PD00004957), which includes a new wiring harness.

I am currently still intermittently getting the 3E error code. The washer works normally about half of the time. I thought it might be due to overloading the washer; however, it happens with both small and large loads.

If I've replaced the motor assembly and wiring harness, where could the problem be? Also, why is it intermittent? I would greatly appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

-Dan
    Last edited by dbuce; 04-16-2015 at 02:15 PM.

Dan,

Have you checked that the inner tub of the washer is spinning freely? Sometimes something as simple as a sock getting stuck between the inner and outer tubs can cause this type of an error code. Also, does the error code seem to occur during a certain part of the cycle?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Ryan,

It stops in the early part of the rinse/spin cycle.

The tub seems to be spinning fairly freely. I wanted to be sure that wasn't the issue, so I took out the inner tub. I didn't find anything between the tubs. However, I found a deep scratch on the plastic on the top of the inner tub. There wasn't anything lodged in there.

There was also some corrosion on the clutch and bottom of the tub, but I imagine some of that is normal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2840.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	352Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2842.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	353Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2844.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	354

-Dan

That rubbing mark could be the cause of the problem if something is still rubbing when you reassemble the washer. Do the bearings in the clutch assembly seem good? And does the clutch seem to be engaging and disengaging correctly?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

The tub still spins easily and quietly. I don't think that whatever caused that scratch was lodged in there for long. The bearings seem to feel and sound OK.

There is some clicking when the clutch engages and disengages. Maybe it could be a clutch issue?

Some clicking is usually normal when the clutch is engaging and disengaging. The problem could be with the clutch if it is not engaging or disengaging properly or if the bearings in the clutch are not spinning freely. The clutch is used to engage and disengage the tub for agitate and spin parts of the cycle.

This is the clutch assembly for your model washer:

Clutch Assembly - Part # PD00007252 (mfg # DC97-16984A)
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Patient
    We have the exact same issue as Dan. We've also taken the EXACT same steps as Dan (including replacing the pump assembly, as ours also broke away from the washer). We're still getting the same intermittent 3E error. Sometimes it pops up, sometimes it doesn't. Our clutch doesn't seem to have any problems. Our wiring harness is brand new and doesn't seem to be loose. I haven't put a multimeter on it, however.

Dan, if you find the problem, I'd be really interested in the solution!

I decided to replace the clutch to see if it would solve my problem, and the washer continues to intermittently stop mid wash and display the 3E code.

Just a reminder, the clutch, motor assembly, drain pump, and wiring harness are new. The tub spins freely, and there isn't anything stuck between the tubs.

It seems to work normally approximately 40% of the time, if it's the first load of the day. If I wash more than one load back to back, it almost always has a problem in the second load. It tends to stop early in the spin cycle, after it drains. It will often drain and spin slowly several times before it stops completely.

Any thoughts as to where the problem could be?

-Dan

Dan,

The only other component that could be causing the problem would be the main control board. From what you have described you have replaced every other component that could relate to this error code.

This is the main control board for your model washer:

Main Control Board - Part # PD00002182 (mfg # DC92-01021B)
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

I am having the same issue that Dan is having, has anyone replaced the control panel yet?

I replaced the control panel. The washer is now working great.

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by dbuce View Post
    I replaced the control panel. The washer is now working great.

-Dan
    Great! Thanks for the update! It looks like this will help alot of other people that having the same problem. I have updated the status of this thread to FIXED.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Samsung washer 3E code fixed with a fan

Quote Originally Posted by dbuce View Post
    Model Number: WA400PJHDWR/AA
    Brand: Samsung

I have a 2.5 year old Samsung top load washer (model # WA400PJHDWR/AA) that is giving me a 3E error code. The washer will work normally about half of the time. However, it will often stop mid spin/rinse cycle and give me a 3E code. Sometimes I can start it back up after turning the washer on and off, and sometimes it continues to give the error code.

According to the technical manual, the 3E code means: "MICOM is attempting to drive the motor but is not getting any response signals from the hall sensor. Visual check shows that the motor is not running (Locked, defective hall sensor or overload). Corrective action: evaluate the wire harness for loose or unhooked connections. Go to quick test mode and test motor."

I had a local washer repair guy come out to run diagnostics and he was suspicious of a bad hall sensor.

You can't buy the hall sensor alone, so I purchased and installed the motor assembly (Part #PD00006606) through your website. The drain pump had broken off of the bottom of this washer previously (and was currently attached with multiple zip ties), so I also purchased and installed the updated drain pump kit (Part #PD00004957), which includes a new wiring harness.

I am currently still intermittently getting the 3E error code. The washer works normally about half of the time. I thought it might be due to overloading the washer; however, it happens with both small and large loads.

If I've replaced the motor assembly and wiring harness, where could the problem be? Also, why is it intermittent? I would greatly appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

-Dan
    I have a Samsung WA400P top loader. It would stop washing in the middle of a cycle and give a 3E error code. I figured out that the electronics under the top rear plastic cover panel were getting too hot for some reason and causing the problem. I removed the plastic panel and placed one of those tiny personal clamp-on fans behind the washer to blow air on the electronic components to keep them cool. PROBLEM SOLVED! If I use the fan I never have a problem. If I forget to turn the fan on the problem returns.

I just tried Bob Smith's repair (above) on my 2012 Samsung WA422PRHDWR/AA washer. IT WORKS! This washer has never worked reliably (usually improper fills, lengthy pauses, taking 3 times as long to finish, then the 3E error). This was the last try before the scrap heap, but removing the rear plastic covers and adding a fan immediately solved the problem. In the long run, I'll probably leave the inner plastic cover off, then cut a hole in the outer cover and mount an electronics cooling fan to blow air over the heat sinks. Thanks so much, Bob Smith!! So many people have been searching for an answer. I'm ashamed of Samsung for causing such problems for so many people when normal, good engineering practice would have prevented the issue. And I'm an engineer myself! Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnvv View Post
    In the long run, I'll probably leave the inner plastic cover off, then cut a hole in the outer cover and mount an electronics cooling fan to blow air over the heat sinks.
    Did you ever do this? Could you provide pictures if so? I'm looking to do something more permanent like this?
    Thanks