Thread: Oven won't heat up, bake or broil. All other functions work.

Question FIXED! Oven won't heat up, bake or broil. All other functions work.

Model Number: PLEFZ398GCB
    Brand: Frigidaire

Frigidaire PLEFZ398GCB - 6 years old

Everything was working fine and now both heating element won't work. The surface top and warming drawer work as they should.

I do have continuity for both elements. I checked power at the board and there is 120v going to each element and 120v coming out of both elements as soon as I choose bake or broil yet they are barely heating.

Should I have 240v there? On the display it shows it changing from top to bottom element, but nothing changes with the voltage.

I noticed that the board energizes both elements all the time even if I choose just broil which I would think would only energize the top element. I have 3 wire plug with 120 on each leg and 240v across.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Don
    Last edited by bigdonk; 05-15-2015 at 08:28 PM.

UPDATE:

Looking at my schematic...

I didn't know one side is always hot, so against my better judgement I jumped L2 as when I tested with the wires disconnected the bake and broil connections would alternate 120v when in bake mode like they should. I would get 240v if I tested L2 (in) with P7 (broil) and P9 (bake), but not when I checked from L2 (out).

So I jumped L2 (in) and L2 (out) and the oven functioned correctly. I did confirm alternating 240v across P7 and P9.

Now, does this confirm I need to replace the board or could something else be telling L2 (out) not to get hot? Relay, etc...

Don

Found a bad solder connection for L2 on the back of the board. Soldered it up and its working great.

Just thought I would fill everyone in.

Thanks for the update. If the solder joint on the control board was blown out or burned then that usually means you have another problem with the control board. Resoldering the bad joint will sometimes temporarily fix the problem but it will usually burn out again.

If you end up needing to replace the control board, these are the parts:

Oven Control Board - Part # PD00007485 (mfg # 316462809)

Clock Overlay (Black) - Part # PD00004985 (mfg # 316419700)
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter