Thread: Whirlpool Fridge warm, freezer cold but not frozen

Whirlpool Fridge warm, freezer cold but not frozen

Model Number: WRF560SEYM00
    Brand: Whirlpool

Hello,

I am having what seems to be a fairly common issue in that our fridge compartment is not cooling at all, but our freezer is cold, freezing items on bottom, but not completely freezing items on top shelf. This is a french door style with freezer drawer on the bottom. I read other posts and I think this could be 3 potential issues. 1. The evaporator fan not working (as I didn't feel any air movement in fridge/freezer). 2. An auto defrost issue being either the defrost thermostat, defrost heater, or control board. 3. The drain tube from the evaporator tray being plugged up not allowing water to drain causing an ice damn.

When I opened the back panel, I expected to find ice covering the evaporator assembly yet it was completely free from ic e except for the top right corner. I believe this could be the defrost thermostat but it is not listed in the parts diagram for some reason and when looking at it, it was a solid block of ice and I could not see what was underneath. Being late night at the time, I decided to wait to melt the ice to find what was underneath and post here to see if someone could confirm what the issue is. I have attached a picture to show the detail of what I am talking about.

Also, when I had the back panel off, I plugged the fridge back in to see if the fan would run and it did not. I wasn't sure if the fan only kicked on at a certain temp or if it should alway be running when the fridge is running. The evaporator assembly was frosting over as I watched it, but fan was not spinning.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IceBuildUp2.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	363Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IceBuildUp1.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	362

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

Keith

I just checked drain tube and it is not clogged and ice is not blocking air return from fridge. From what I have read, the fan motor should be running as long as the compressor is on, and since it does not, I am going to replace the fan motor. That said, it seems that some refrigerators will not run the fan in defrost mode so the fan will stay off until thermostat reads cool enough. So, the fact that there is a block of ice around what I think is the defrost thermostat, perhaps I should change that first, or just go ahead and do both. Can anyone confirm any of this?

Thanks

Thank you for the pictures. It appears that you have a leak in sealed system of the refrigerator. This type of the repair must be completed by a repair technician and it can be very expensive. I would recommend to talk with some local repair people and decide what to do from there.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Ok thanks. Would this trigger the fan to stop working? I ordered the fan thinking that must be the issue as there is no air movement. I also thought it could be the thermistor if that wasn't working the fan might not get the signal to start back up.

Are you saying the refrigerant is leaking and causing the freeze up in the top right corner?

When the refrigerator is working properly, the whole evaporator coil should get cold and have an even light lay of frost on it. When there is a sealed system leak only part of the coil will get cold. Once it gets bad enough just the top corner of the coil will get cold and that will eventually turn into an ice ball like yours has done. This problem would not relate to the fan or thermistor.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter