Thread: Whirlpool bottom freezer cold top frig warm

Whirlpool bottom freezer cold top frig warm

Model Number: wrb322dmbw00
    Brand: Whirlpool

Just out of warranty and top frig not cooling. Coils not frozen up,nothing visibly blocked,frig light comes on. Pulled back bottom panel and fan to cool coils(?) not running. Don't know how to access the fan moving freezer air to frig. Any help?

Can you hear the compressor running? Is the freezer cooling?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    Can you hear the compressor running? Is the freezer cooling?
    Compressor running,freezer cold,frig light on,took back bottom panel off and cooling fan down there not running,some frosting at rear of freezer near coils

If the fan is not running, that can cause the coil to frost up. You will need to check to see if there is approx 120v being supplied to the fan motor using a volt meter or multimeter. If there is approx 120v to the motor and it is not running, then the motor is bad and it will need to be replaced. Let me know what you find.

This is the evaporator fan motor for your model refrigerator:

Evaporator Fan Motor - Part # PD00006796 (mfg # 13062901)
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

If the fan is not running, that can cause the coil to frost up. You will need to check to see if there is approx 120v being supplied to the fan motor using a volt meter or multimeter. If there is approx 120v to the motor and it is not running, then the motor is bad and it will need to be replaced. Let me know what you find.

This is the evaporator fan motor for your model refrigerator:

Evaporator Fan Motor - Part # PD00006796 (mfg # 13062901)
    I'm going to try replacing fan first and hope that's it. My oven also out and both my be from recent storm. I'll also need a new tester since the fan power leads are so tiny. I assume I'll get to fan through inside of frig since there is no access to back of frig. Any idea on how to access the fan?

Thanks Doc

The fan motor is located behind the back panel in the rear of the freezer compartment. You will need to unplug the refrigerator and remove everything from the freezer before taking it apart. I attached two PDF's below, one shows how to remove the drawer and the other shows how to remove the back panel.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

The fan motor is located behind the back panel in the rear of the freezer compartment. You will need to unplug the refrigerator and remove everything from the freezer before taking it apart. I attached two PDF's below, one shows how to remove the drawer and the other shows how to remove the back panel.
    Ok Dr
    So far Whirlpool varionce from instruction :
    1) Whirlpool door does not have a Philliphead screw but a rivet on either side that need to be drilled out to remove freezer door
    2) Whirlpool fan clip very difficult to release because of design.

These no doubt Whirlpool features.
    Now I'm up against a problem I haven't been able to resolve. My new fan part has arrived but w.o a fan blade. I've tried pulling, and unscrewing old blade both ways,but it won't come off. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Remraf

Quote Originally Posted by remraf04 View Post
    Ok Dr
    So far Whirlpool varionce from instruction :
    1) Whirlpool door does not have a Philliphead screw but a rivet on either side that need to be drilled out to remove freezer door
    2) Whirlpool fan clip very difficult to release because of design.

These no doubt Whirlpool features.
    Now I'm up against a problem I haven't been able to resolve. My new fan part has arrived but w.o a fan blade. I've tried pulling, and unscrewing old blade both ways,but it won't come off. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Remraf
    Ughh...........plugged in new fan motor.........nothing. What do I try next? I had to replace oven control board. Is that what I'm looking at on frig?

Still needing help here if available. I plugged in the new fan before replacing all the components removed to access (freezer door,tray runners,ice maker,etc) and plugged in the electric cord.......new fan not running. So I'm assuming the problem is not with the fan. Any ideas on how to proceed from here?

Did you do a voltage test at the motor to see if it is receiving approx 120v?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Did you do a voltage test at the motor to see if it is receiving approx 120v?
    I tried but either I'm not getting any power or the plug receptacle so tiny my probes aren't reaching. I even bought a new tester to try and get inside to fan plug in.

Pretty sure I'm getting tester probes in the fan plug..........nothing. No ready 120v or other.

The power to the fan motor is supplied by the Jazz Control Board. In some cases we have seen the old fan motor go bad which draws high amperage and burns out the control board. To fix this you should replace the control board and fan motor at the same time.

This is the control board for your model refrigerator:

Jazz Control Board - Part # PD00004512 (mfg # W10503278)
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

The power to the fan motor is supplied by the Jazz Control Board. In some cases we have seen the old fan motor go bad which draws high amperage and burns out the control board. To fix this you should replace the control board and fan motor at the same time.

This is the control board for your model refrigerator:

Jazz Control Board - Part # PD00004512 (mfg # W10503278)
    Doc
    Will I have to program? How do I access?

Thanks
    Dave

Doc

Thanks
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by remraf04 View Post
    Doc

Thanks
    Dave
    Yes, you will need to program the new control board. Please follow the programming instructions in this post.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Still nothing.......new board and fan.
    I'll let it run for a while and see if fan kicks in once freezer reaches a certain temperature and if ice maker working. If not.......what next?

Check the door switches to make sure they are working properly.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Hi Dr. Ryan,

I have a Whirlpool model MBF2258xew5. Freezer working, fresh food section warm. Turned off and let unit defrost. When plugged back in, the unit ran cold - both freezer and fresh food section. However, by morning, the fresh food section warm but the freezer cold. All fans seemed to be working when the unit was powered back on, although by morning the refrigerator warm and the fan not working. Any advice would be much appreciated.