Thread: [FIXED] GE Fridge w/ Samsung Ice Maker not working

[FIXED] GE Fridge w/ Samsung Ice Maker not working

Model Number: PFSF6PKXAWW
    Brand: GE

I own a GE Refrigerator w/ a Samsung Ice Maker (IMC701). The first issue is that the ice maker started to produce small black dots inside the ice which appear to be metal shavings. Then the ice maker stopped completely. I removed the ice maker and could see that water is being put into the tray but the thongs are not able to push the ice out of the tray. My guess is that the tray is not being warmed up to loosen the ice so that it can be pushed out.

The ice maker then started to make ice again, but very slowly and without the black dots inside. Now, the maker produces ice very sporadically and has begun making occasional clicking noises. (The clicking noises are new).

Based on the GE Service Bulletin I found on your site (https://partsdr.com/blog/ge-wr30x100...info/#bulletin), I'd appreciate your advice on whether I should replace the ice maker, the control board or both. It seems to me that I would need to replace the control board and not the ice maker...which just doesn't seem right.

My first question: Does my fridge fall into the Service Bulletin criteria?

GE Service Bulletin (Model made before 3/1/2008)
    Models Affected: PFSS6 & PFSF6
    Manufacture Date: July 2007 – Feb 2008
    Serial Numbers: MM070000 – DR079999

My Information
    Model: PFSF6PKXAWW
    Manufacture Date: I can't find this. The fridge was purchased on 12/31/2008
    Serial Number: MR550169

If so, the bulletin says to replace the Ice Maker and Control Board if they meet the following criteria:
    Replace the ice maker if the blue tag on the bottom indicates it was produced prior to 2008.3.01 (March 1, 2008)
    My Ice Maker's blue tag shows a Mfg. Date of 2008.7.09 (July 9, 2008)

Replace the main board if the software version is lower than 4.02 on the left processor.
    My board has software versions 2.10 on the left side and 2.02 on the right.

Again, my confusion (if I'm reading this right and my fridge falling within the service bulletin criteria) is that I should replace the control board and not the ice maker.....is that right?

Thank You for your help,
    Jerry B

Jerry,

Your refrigerator was not part of that service bulletin. The control board will not need to be replace because of the software version on this refrigerator. Based upon what you described I would start by replacing the ice maker. Let us know how the repair goes for you.

This is the ice maker for your refrigerator:

Ice Maker - Part # PD00001987 (mfg # DA97-05422A)
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

This is good news. The repair guy wanted $176 for this part. Also, he told me that putting in the filter can cause damage to the filter housing, thereby vastly reducing the water pressure. Is this true?

The water filter on this refrigerator is designed to be replaced on a regular basis and you should replace the water filter when the refrigerator indicates to do so. We have seen some of the water filter housings break when the old water filter is removed and cause low or no water pressure, but that is not very common to happen. Not replacing your water filter on a regular basis will also cause the water pressure to drop over time as the filter gets overly clogged up and that will cause problems with the ice maker.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    The water filter on this refrigerator is designed to be replaced on a regular basis and you should replace the water filter when the refrigerator indicates to do so. We have seen some of the water filter housings break when the old water filter is removed and cause low or no water pressure, but that is not very common to happen. Not replacing your water filter on a regular basis will also cause the water pressure to drop over time as the filter gets overly clogged up and that will cause problems with the ice maker.
    We've always replaced the filter as soon as the panel indicator is lit, but after we did it the first time, the water pressure dropped by about half, and it's stayed that way through all subsequent filter changes.

If you have the filter bypass for the refrigerator I would try installing that to see if the water pressure increases. This would rule out the possibility of the filter being bad. Also, make sure you are using OEM GE water filters as we have seen alot of issues with aftermarket brand filters. From what you described it sounds like the water filter housing is probably bad and may need to be replaced.

This is the water filter housing for your refrigerator

Water Filter Housing - Part # PD00001303 (mfg # WR17X12469)

Ryan

PartsDr.com

Thanks Doc. You've really been very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by rfcouey View Post
    Thanks Doc. You've really been very helpful.
    You're welcome. I just realized you have a different username than the person that originally started this thread. Are you the same person? I just wanted to make sure I was giving you the correct information for your refrigerator.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

You're welcome. I just realized you have a different username than the person that originally started this thread. Are you the same person? I just wanted to make sure I was giving you the correct information for your refrigerator.
    Doc Ryan, The questions regarding the Water Filter did not come from the same person who started this thread (I started the thread and have had no problems replacing the water filter). You've got a good point in that you don't know what refrigerator the new person is asking about.

Jerry B

Jerry,

Your refrigerator was not part of that service bulletin. The control board will not need to be replace because of the software version on this refrigerator. Based upon what you described I would start by replacing the ice maker. Let us know how the repair goes for you.
    Doc Ryan,

I received my replacement ice maker from PartsDr.com this past Friday (6/26/15). The installation took only several minutes...very easy to do. It took about 3 hours for the first tray of ice to be made (which is actually pretty fast after putting in a new ice maker) and then less time for each tray after that. By Saturday, the ice bin was full.

A big THANK YOU to Doc Ryan for clarifying the Service Bulletin for me and confirming exactly what to order. Thank You to PartsDr.com for offering the OEM replacement part for the lowest price on the web and for fast delivery (Ordered Tuesday and was at my door on Friday).

I'm a very satisfied customer,
    Jerry B

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry B View Post
    Doc Ryan,

I received my replacement ice maker from PartsDr.com this past Friday (6/26/15). The installation took only several minutes...very easy to do. It took about 3 hours for the first tray of ice to be made (which is actually pretty fast after putting in a new ice maker) and then less time for each tray after that. By Saturday, the ice bin was full.

A big THANK YOU to Doc Ryan for clarifying the Service Bulletin for me and confirming exactly what to order. Thank You to PartsDr.com for offering the OEM replacement part for the lowest price on the web and for fast delivery (Ordered Tuesday and was at my door on Friday).

I'm a very satisfied customer,
    Jerry B
    Thanks for the update, I have updated the status of this thread to FIXED!
    Ryan

PartsDr.com