Thread: Frigidaire - Evaporator Fan Not Turning

Frigidaire - Evaporator Fan Not Turning

Model Number: FRS23W3A
    Brand: Frigidaire

As the title suggests, my refrigerator/freezer is not cooling and evaporator fan is not spinning. After doing various searches I determined that the likely culprit was the defrost timer - therefore I order a new one. This did not fix the problem.

Next I decided to check the voltage on my evaporator fan - There was 120V at both leads and my ground is good. Therefore I ordered a new fan and replaced it today... this did not fix the problem. I still have voltage at the fan and my ground is good... I do not understand why the fan would not be spinning.

I thought maybe it was running through a defrost but i've had it plugged in for the past 45 minutes and there has been no change.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - if I don't get this up and running in the next 24 hours my wife will replace it... that is not the route I would like to take.

Thanks in advance!

Your refrigerators model number is missing two digits from the end. Can you please get those for me from the tag on the inside wall of the refrigerator? Also, let me know which part numbers you replaced.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Thanks for the quick reply Doc - here is the info you requested;

Model - FRS23W3AW4

Adaptive Defrost Control Board - 5303918476

Evaporator Motor - 5303918549

Thanks for your help!

Both of the parts that you replaced should have fixed the problem. The control board is what supplies power to the evaporator fan motor. If the motor is receiving approx 120v from the control board then it should be running. Did you replace both parts with new OEM parts?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

The board was used but I still have voltage at the fan.

Very frustrating - I was hoping I was missing something obvious.

If the fan motor is receiving 120v and it is not running, then the fan motor is bad. It is best to test the voltage with the motor still connected because sometimes the control board will send 120v while there is no load but when the motor is connected and there is a load it won't send power.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    If the fan motor is receiving 120v and it is not running, then the fan motor is bad. It is best to test the voltage with the motor still connected because sometimes the control board will send 120v while there is no load but when the motor is connected and there is a load it won't send power.
    Hey Doc Ryan, My control board is doing exactly this. It's giving 120v to the fan when the fan is disconncted, when the fan is connected and load is put on the line, it drops to 0v. Why would it do that? Is my control board bad?