Thread: Heating element turns on and timer runs when off

Heating element turns on and timer runs when off

Model Number: D433
    Brand: Sears Kenmore

Went downtairs a couple of weeks ago early in the am because I heard my dryer running. It had been running all night and the heating element was bad upon inspection. The dryer timer had reached the end of the cycle but failed to shut off. I was assuming that was because the heating element was bad. Installed a new heating element and started a load. Ran for about 15 minutes or so and shut off in the middle of the cycle. Opened the dryer and it was hotter than normal. It would not start up again. Blew the thermal fuse, so I replaced that. It will start and run now. My problem is that the heating element heats up and the timer keeps ticking without starting and running the dryer. I have continuity on all 3 thermostats and the heating element. I kept thinking the problem was with the new heating element. I get 0 on the multimeter when testing resistance Could it still be bad in some way? Is it a timer issue at this point? Any help would be appreciated!

Your model number is not coming up as a valid model number. Please provide the full model number from the model and serial number tag located around the opening of the dryer. Also, please let us know which part numbers you have already replaced.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    Your model number is not coming up as a valid model number. Please provide the full model number from the model and serial number tag located around the opening of the dryer. Also, please let us know which part numbers you have already replaced.
    Model # 11063102101
    Serial # MR4544809
    We have only replaced the heating element and the thermal fuse at this point.

There are two thermal fuses on this dryer, which one did you replace? Does the timer now advance the cycle and shut the dryer off on its own?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

We replaced the white thermal fuse near the blower motor and right beside a thermostat that had continuity. Just tested dryer without the heating element hooked up to see if it would cycle through. Timer counts down but does not shut off at 0 time left and keeps running. That is in a timed cycle. Should I try with heating element hooked up or does that matter?

We replaced the white thermal fuse near the blower motor and right beside a thermostat that had continuity. Just tested dryer without the heating element hooked up to see if it would cycle through. Timer counts down but does not shut off at 0 time left and keeps running. That is in a timed cycle. Should I try with heating element hooked up or does that matter?

Also checked to see if the timer still was ticking with the heating element disconnected and it does not. The dryer will run with all components hooked up (heating element) but I don't let it keep running because I am afraid of the heat and figure it will just blow the thermal fuse again.Where is the other fuse located? I kept getting conflicting info about a second fuse.
    Last edited by chile-girl; 07-20-2015 at 06:23 PM. Reason: added info

The second fuse is located above the heating element on the left side of the housing.

All components must be hooked up when running the dryer for it to work correctly.

When you replaced thermal fuse part # 3392519, did you also replace the cycling thermostat part # 3387134?

Have you checked for lint buildup in the dryers blower housing where the lint filter slide down into? And have you checked the dryers exhaust venting for any clogs or restrictions?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

I did not replace the cycling thermostat because it still had continuity.I pulled the dryer out and exhaust vent has been cleaned out. all lint has been cleaned out around the blower and anywhere else I could find any. I don't have exhaust hose hooked up right now even while we are troubleshooting. I only took the heating element off because I wanted to see how that effected what the timer did. I have had everything hooked up properly and that was when the heating element comes on and timer is ticking without starting the dryer. Without the heating element hooked up timer does not tick unless you start it and does advance. It just does not shut off when it reaches 0 time left. I do not see the second fuse to the left of the housing and REALLY looked. Would it still run if that fuse needed replaced and can i find a diagram somewhere for that fuse? I thought that the dryer would start and run properly if the cycling thermostat had continuity. It just might not cycle properly. Could that cause this problem. Heating element coming on without dryer running scares me and it seems to run with the timer.

Reconnected heating element and everything is hooked up properly. Plugged it in. With the dryer door opened and the timer off heating element does not come on. With the door still opened moved the timer to the timed heating cycle and element turns on. No dryer running at any point. The dryer will heat and run when I start it. I am afraid it is going to get too hot like it did the first time and just blow the thermal fuse again or blow another part.My concern at this point is what is causing the whole problem. Heating element should not turn on until dryer has been started and it does.
    Last edited by chile-girl; 07-21-2015 at 01:54 PM.

It sounds like you probably have a shorted heating element. Fast forward to the 2:35 mark in the video below for instructions on testing for a shorted element.

This is the heating element for your model dryer:

Heating Element Assembly - Part # PD00002351 (mfg # 279838)
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Looks like we just might have a shorted heating element. Set multimeter at 20k and tested from coils to housing and got 0.00 reading on both terminals. Does that hold true with what you are thinking?

If the meter gives you the same reading as when you touch the meters two probes together then that would mean the element is shorted.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com