Thread: [FIXED] GE refrigerator is running too cold while display shows very high temperature

[FIXED] GE refrigerator is running too cold while display shows very high temperature

Model Number: PSS26PSTA
    Brand: GE

My GE Profile refrigerator m/n PSS26PSTA that is 6 year old is running too cold at about 30 degrees. The electronic indicators read the temperature inside is 60+ degrees. When I increase the temperature using the buttons it doesn't seem to produce any result. Please advise what could go wrong and it it can be done by a non professional (myself) thanks a lot, Daniel

OK, so I did some pocking around and located the temperature sensor inside. It was all covered with ice that has accumulated inside... Also lots of ice and I mean lots behind the produce drawer. So now it makes sense. The temperature of ice is around 30-32 degrees and that what I was measuring as a temperature inside the refrigerator with a regular thermometer, but why the display says 65? Also, why the fridge ignored my command to increase the temperature when I punched it with the up/down arrows. Not sure what is at fault here.... waiting for your expert advice.

Your refrigerator is a pretty complicated one to diagnose. It uses two evaporator coils (cooling coils) one in the freezer and one in the refrigerator section. The first thing that I would check is to see if the fan above the evaporator coil in the refrigerator section is working. If the fan is working, then I would check to see if the evaporator coil is defrosting properly. When it is functioning properly, the evaporator coil will NOT have a large amount of frost built up on the coil (post up pictures if you can). If the evaporator coil is frosted up, then I would first check the thermistor (temp sensor) as this is the most common thing to cause this problem. It can also be caused by a bad main control board too. To access the evaporator coil in the refrigerator you will have to take the whole "custom cool" unit apart.

There was a service bulletin on this refrigerator that only affected earlier serial numbers (see attached pdf). It also has some instructions on taking things apart. This could be your problem too... but I would lean more towards a defrost problem according to your symptoms. Let us know what you find!

Fresh Food Ice Ball Service Bulletin.pdf

Also see this guide on How to test a GE thermistor

This is the thermistor for your refrigerator:

Temperature Sensor (Thermistor) - WR55X10025
    Ryan
    www.PartsDr.com - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Circle Parts Dr On Google+

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Thanks a lot Ryan. I did, in fact had a large amount of frost built up on the evaporator coil. So the first thing I did which was the easiest and the cheapest is to buy a new thermistor. I replaced it on Sunday and also melted all of the ice with a fan. So far the electronic readings from the refrigerator are identical to the readings from the mechanical thermometer. I think that was the original problem. Since the ice was everywhere it was hard to say if I also had 'Fresh Food Ice Ball' issue, but I will keep an eye on the coil an update the thread should the fridge exhibit this issue later on.

Once again, thank you for your advice and the documents!

Thanks for the feedback, it is always nice when it is a cheap fix. It can take a while for the frost to build back up, so I would keep an eye on it for the next month, after that you should be in the clear. I will mark this thread as "FIXED", let us know if the problem reoccurs.
    Ryan
    www.PartsDr.com - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Circle Parts Dr On Google+

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter