Thread: Maytag bottom freezer refrigerator compartment does not cool

Maytag bottom freezer refrigerator compartment does not cool

My brother has a maytag bottom freezer mod#MBF2255kew that works well for 2 weeks and then the refrigerator compartment does not cool (freezer compartment is working). I'm trying to diagnose over the phone since he lives far away from me. I believe it's a defrost problem. My brother is handy, so I would ship him the parts for installation. I have been out of the industry for 20+ years but I have some witt. I believe I would change the Jazz board part #12868513 and for extra precation the defrost t-stat part # 61005254.

I would appreciate any feedback or constructive critisism.

Thank you

I think you are on the right track. The most common reason the refrigerator compartment stops cooling on these is because the freezer isn't going through the automatic defrost cycle. If you manually defrost the freezer by unplugging the refrigerator and taking a hair dryer to the evaporator coil behind the back panel in the freezer, then the refrigerator will probably start working again for a week or two until it frosts up again. There are three defrost components on this model, the jazz board 12868513, defrost thermostat 67003426, and the defrost heater 67001794. The defrost heaters rarely burn out on these, so you are probably safe to replace the control board and defrost thermostat (we always recommend replacing the defrost thermostat at the same time even if it doesn't appear to be bad). He could test the thermostat and heater for continuity if he has access to a multimeter.

Let us know how the repair goes for him.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Will do. Thanks for the feedback.