Thread: [FIXED] Whirlpool Electric Dryer heating on Air Only

[FIXED] Whirlpool Electric Dryer heating on Air Only

Model Number: WED5300VW0
    Brand: Whirlpool

One year ago my Whirlpool dryer was tripping the circuit breaker. The heating element had broken and I had it replaced. It's been fine for a year. But now the heating element isn't shutting off at all. The temperature gets extremely hot, even on 'Air Only'. I looked at the coils on the heating element and it appears to be fine. I read somewhere that it's probably the control board (a bad thermostat wouldn't make sense, since the heating element shouldn't be coming on AT ALL on Air Only). Does that seem right? Is there only one control board for this kind of dryer? I saw a part called 'Dryness Control Board', and I'm wondering if that's what I want. Thanks very much.

First off, I would unplug the dryer. It might not be safe to leave plugged in until the dryer is fixed. The control board on your dryer does not control the heating element. Most likely your problem is being caused by a shorted heating element. This means that one of the coils on the heating element is being shorted to ground. When this happens the heating element will stay on all the time and it is a serious fire hazard (it can even heat when the dryer isn't running so make sure to unplug the dryer). To check for a shorted element you should unplug the dryer and remove the back panel. On the right side you will see the heating element, remove the two wires that connect to the element. With a multi-meter, check to see if you have continuity from either side of the element to the cabinet that hold the element. You should NOT have continuity when you check for this, if you do the element is shorted out and will need to be replaced.

Heating elements normally short out from restricted venting and/or lint buildup inside the dryer. Make sure to check for this before replacing any parts on the dryer. When replacing a shorted heating element, it is very likely that you have bad thermostats and/or thermal fuses. They might need to be replaced at the same time to get the dryer operating properly again.

These are the parts for your dryer:

Heating Element Assembly - 279838

Thermal Fuse - 3392519

Cycling Thermostat - 8318268

Thermal Fuse & Thermostat Kit - 279816
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Yup, that was it. A part of the coil on the heating element had warped or sagged and was touching the frame.
    I was able to pull it off without breaking it, and had to replace the thermostat and fuse as well. It's working
    fine now. Thanks a lot Doc!!

Thanks for the feedback! I am glad everything went well with your repair . I have updated the status of this thread to FIXED.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter