Thread: [FIXED] Kenmore gas dryer will not light itself

[FIXED] Kenmore gas dryer will not light itself

Model Number: 110.87870100
    Brand: Sears Kenmore

Hi,

I have this Kenmore dryer and I've been through the ringer with it. I was going to type a full description of all I did but I'll summarize;

Not lighting but I could light with a BBQ lighter. For differing reasons for each, I replaced the solenoids, the ignitor, and the flame sensor. Still does the same thing. It will light itself every so often but mostly not.

It *SEEMS* to me the gas valves could be lazy? When I hold a BBQ lighter at the end, it ignites after the ignitor has cooled too much.

Any suggestions before I disassemble the gas valve?

From what you described it sounds like the gas valve is most likely bad or working intermittently. Let us know what you find.

This is the gas valve for your model dryer:

Gas Valve Kit - Part # PD00007674 (mfg # 279923)
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

For anyone watching this thread, I'll warn you playing with your own gas valve can be dangerous so think twice.

It is very simple inside but there is a diaphragm/gasket that is delicate. I was able to disassemble to the very last piece and everything appears to be in perfect condition, with the valves and regulator very clean and free, no wear or damage. I re-assembled, checking the gasket 3 times to make sure it was right before tightening. I'm at a bit of a loss as to what my problem could be at this point.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150828_003.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	395Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150828_001.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	396Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150828_002.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	397

Since the gas valves are not designed to be a serviceable part, I have never taken one apart and I do not know what fails on them.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Update, There is an adjustment screw on the regulator. I was going to adjust it a smidge. I unscrewed the cap and turned it a half turn and tried it, and it lit perfectly. When I put the cap back it doesn't light, somehow this is causing a delay in gas delivery. The cap seems sealed and this seals the back of the regulator diaphragm.

Further update, I could imagine they want the back of the regulator sealed in case the diaphragm leaks but having it sealed seemed wrong as it needs to react based on atmospheric pressure. Apparently there is a *TINY* breather hole in the screw cap that covers the adjustment. Mine must have had enough dirt in it to make the regulator operation sluggish. I took the cap off and put a drop of alcohol in the hole in it and it seeped out, indicating a hole. So I blasted it with my compressor blowgun and put it back. Now it seems to light perfectly.

Thanks for the update, I have updated the status of this thread to FIXED.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com