Thread: whirlpool Fridge, Freezer working Fridge too Warm, Force defrost buys about 1 week.

whirlpool Fridge, Freezer working Fridge too Warm, Force defrost buys about 1 week.

Model Number: gb2shdxts01
    Brand: Whirlpool

I have a Whirlpool fridge about 4 years old, all of a sudden I noticed the fridge was getting warm, the fan was running but not cold enough. (the air in the fridge)

I then saw inside the freezer the coils were covered in frost. I attempted to clean it only realizing I may be doing some damage to the coils, I then force defrosted it, (long) and after 15 min the fridge began to get cool again, (freezer was always maintaining a cold freezing temperature) I noticed the temp was under 5 oC in the fridge but sometimes it's 3 oc and sometimes even .5 oC.

A week later the fridge began to get warm again, so i force defrosted it again, the next day same problem.

I was about to buy a new control board until I spoke to a phone rep by whirlpool who suggest it may be the bimetal or the thermistor timer. One of the questions they asked me if frost was building up on the back of the freezer, which it is slightly. I'm confused as to was it may be, I'm trying to avoid buying parts only to realize it's the wrong part.

I do notice that the fridge seems to run constantly, I never hear it completely silent, (fans are always running, compressor not sure)

Could any one provide me with some advice or further questions to help me diagnose this problem?

Thanks
    Last edited by nambi; 08-25-2015 at 06:17 PM.

It sounds like the refrigerator is not going through the automatic defrost cycle. There are three defrost components on this model, the jazz control board PD00004512, defrost thermostat PD00003442, and the defrost heater PD00003693. The defrost heaters rarely burn out on these, it is usually the defrost thermostat or control board that go bad. You can test the defrost heater for continuity to see if its good and you can follow the instructions in this video to test the defrost thermostat. If both of those test good then I would replace the control board and the defrost thermostat (we always recommend replacing the defrost thermostat at the same time even if it doesn't appear to be bad). Once you replace the parts you will need to manually defrost the freezer to get it caught back up before letting the refrigerator run again.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Thank you for the advice I really appreciate the help, I will test the thermostat later today. Is it safe to assume the heater is working since putting the fridge into forced defrost mode temporarily relieves the problems and de-ices the coil.

I have the fridge and freezer set at the recommend setting which is 4 /4 yet the temperature in the fridge fluctuate between just under 5 oC and 0.5 oC is this a normal range, a few other observations the fan on the fridge seems to constantly run even when the temperature is near 0. I have also observed the plastic flap which controls the air flow from the freezer to the fridge is always open, even at this very cold temperatures. I do see it move and adjust when I change the settings or force defrost the fridge therefore I know the motor is operational and not jammed.

Thank You,

Your assumption with the heater is probably correct, but I always like to test the parts with a multimeter to ensure they are good/bad. If the evaporator coil in the freezer is not going through the automatic defrost cycle properly, it will accumulate with frost which will block the air flow and cause the temperatures to rise.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter