Thread: GE Profile Fridge won't dispense ice or water

GE Profile Fridge won't dispense ice or water

Model Number: pshs6rgx
    Brand: GE

GE side by side refrigerator. Ice maker makes ice no problem. However, it will not dispense. Pushing the paddle causes the LEDs to blink and the front panel display the current temperatures then go black.

The model number that you provided is not complete, please provide the full model number from the model and serial number tag on the inside of the refrigerator. Check the electrical connection at the top or bottom of the door and look for any corroded or broken wires. Let us know what you find.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Unfortunately I cannot find a sticker inside the fridge with a model number or serial. Just the picture attached.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0566.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	407

I did what you suggested and checked the electrical connector going into the freezer door. All 3 conductors ohm out to <1 from the bottom connector to the molex style connector behind the control panel. As a side, the board lists those pins as +12V, however the connector at the bottom on the fridge side is only showing roughly 6.8Vdc from the +12 to black. With the cable connected, the pins on the control board also show ~6.8Vdc at the +12 pin.

That makes sense to me as it seems like the control board resets whenever I press the ice paddle. It must be when it tries to actuate the motor, the voltage drops even more and falls below the microcontroller's minimum operating voltage. Thus causing a reset when the paddle is released.

This is what the main board looks like behind the fridge. Any chance there's a schematic kicking around? It would suck to spend 100+ bucks on a new board when it could be as simple as a blown power supply filter cap.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0565.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	408
    Last edited by iBrent; 09-17-2015 at 05:52 PM.

The tag you are looking at is the feature tag, there should be another tag on the inside wall with the model and serial number. Does the water dispenser work okay?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    The tag you are looking at is the feature tag, there should be another tag on the inside wall with the model and serial number. Does the water dispenser work okay?
    There's a possibility the previous owner removed that tag for whatever reason. There are no other stickers on the inside wall of the refrigerator or freezer.

The water dispenser does not work either. LEDs come on, no water dispenses.

Thanks again!

If there are no wiring problems, then either the dispenser control board or main control board is most likely causing your problem.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Looks like I fixed it. My suspicion was correct. Something was drawing down the 12V rail to the point where even the relays weren't turning on. Upon examination of the board I noticed 2 electrolytic caps on the secondary side of the 12V transformer that appeared to be bulging. I measured the equivalent capacitance (they were in parallel) and measured less than 150 pF. The caps are 470 uF each, so in parallel it should have measured around 1 mF.

I replaced the caps with new ones. Equivalent capacitance is over 1 mF and the 12V rail is sitting pretty at 13.5Vdc. Everything is working. Very pleased with the $3 fix.

Which control board had the failed capacitors?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    Which control board had the failed capacitors?
    The main board behind the rear panel. The 2 caps next to the yellow transformer in the picture I posted. You can actually kinda see them bulging in the photo below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0565.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	145.8 KB 
ID:	425
    Last edited by iBrent; 10-29-2015 at 08:59 AM.