Thread: Ice Maker Not Working / Area Warm

Ice Maker Not Working / Area Warm

Model Number: PFSS6PKWBSS
    Brand: GE

Hi All,

I have a GE french door refrigerator, model PFSS6PKWBSS. The ice maker stopped working and all of the ice melted, making a nice mess, it's only water. It has the Samsung IMC701 ice maker dated 2008-1-02. I'm not sure where to start or what to look for. The ice maker area is not "freezing" cold, it is the roughly same temp as the refrigerator. The freezer is "freezing" cold, or at the normal temperature. I pulled the ice maker out and drained all of the water out of it and reinstalled it. With the door opened, I pushed the button on the side of the ice maker, after installing it and nothing happens. What should I do next?

Just for fun, is the Samsung DA97-05422A the same as the IMC701?

Thanks,

Jim

Oh and by the way the filter is bypassed, the ice maker is fed by a currently working RO filter.

The ice maker will not make ice if it is not cold enough in the ice maker compartment. You will need to determine what is causing that section to not be cold enough. There are two fans in the freezer section, one of those fans sends the cold air up to the ice maker compartment. If that fan isn't running, that could cause your problem. If the evaporator coil in the freezer is frosted up, that can block the airflow and cause it to warm up. Some people have seen frost build up in the vent that goes up to the ice maker compartment, this can also block the airflow and make it warm up. Do some checking, and let us know what you find.

There is more than one IMC701 ice maker. Look at the bottom right hand corner of the blue tag on the bottom of the ice maker, that will have the part number of the ice maker that you need. The most common one is DA97-05422A, which is what your model uses.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    The ice maker will not make ice if it is not cold enough in the ice maker compartment. You will need to determine what is causing that section to not be cold enough. There are two fans in the freezer section, one of those fans sends the cold air up to the ice maker compartment. If that fan isn't running, that could cause your problem. If the evaporator coil in the freezer is frosted up, that can block the airflow and cause it to warm up. Some people have seen frost build up in the vent that goes up to the ice maker compartment, this can also block the airflow and make it warm up. Do some checking, and let us know what you find.

There is more than one IMC701 ice maker. Look at the bottom right hand corner of the blue tag on the bottom of the ice maker, that will have the part number of the ice maker that you need. The most common one is DA97-05422A, which is what your model uses.
    Ok, the feezer evaprator coil was completly frozen over. On Sunday the 26th, I removed all of the ice and checked the two fans. The fans seem to be working properly. I put it all back together and by the Monday morning it was making ice again. Then yesterday, the 7th, we noticed that the ice maker had done the same thing. I'm guessing that the freezer is not being defrosted but why?

There are four defrost components on your refrigerator. (See the attached diagram) Defrost heater (#26), defrost thermostat (#25), defrost sensor (#24), and the main control board. With the refrigerator unplugged, you can disconnect the wires to the heater and test for continuity. The defrost thermostat can be tested for continuity while it is cold at freezer temperature (if it warms up it won't have continuity). You can ohm out the defrost sensor. To do this you will need to remove the sensor, and place the probe of the sensor in a glass of ice water. The sensor should ohm out at approximately at approximately 12.7K Ω at 33°F. If all three of those things check out okay, then the control board is bad. Let me know what you find.

**Edited this post to show ohm values for the defrost sensor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PFSS6PKWBSS.jpg  
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Hi Doc Ryan, Please give me the part numbers, or a link to them, for the sensor and the heater and I will order them later today. Thanks, Jim

Model # PFSS6PKWBSS, Serial # AR072047.

Here are the part numbers for your refrigerator:

Defrost Sensor - WR23X10581

Defrost Heater - WR51X10104

Ryan

PartsDr.com