Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freezer warm

Freezer warm

Model Number: rm255lapb
    Brand: Samsung

The freezer will only cool to 44 degrees. I have an error code stating Condensor Fan Error – Condenser Fan motor operation failure, feedback signal line contact failure, motor’s electric wire missing, and so on. It also ohms out at 9.56 ohms. My assumption is the fan motor is bad and needs replacing. Do you agree or am I missing something?

Thanks

Can you double check the model number for me? I think you might have the last two digits reversed?

The condenser fan motor isn't running when the refrigerator is running?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Your right the number is rm255labp. The condenser fan motor isn't running when the refrigerator is running? Correct, it runs on the drawer but not the one for the freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by R D Smith View Post
    Correct, it runs on the drawer but not the one for the freezer.
    Could you explain this a little bit better for me please?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

The unit has two drawers on bottom and two doors above them. On the left side is the freezer (upper door). There is one fan for the freezer and one for the drawer. The one for the drawer runs but not the one for the freezer.
    When you remove all the shevles ice maker etc it is just one connected compartment. You can then remove the inside back. This piece houses the two fans one upper and one lower. Behind the cover are two condenser coils one for the drawer and one for the freezer. The lower compartment is cooling fine. The upper one (freezer) is not. Is the problem the fan not running?

Thanks for the clarification. I think you might be confused. The coils inside the refrigerator/freezer are called the evaporator coil. The condenser coil and condenser fan motor are located behind the refrigerator, behind the bottom panel. I would first check to see if the fan is running properly. The condenser fan keeps the condenser coil cool, if it doesn't run it will get too hot and the refrigerator/freezer won't cool properly. Since you are getting a condenser fan error code, I would check this first.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. I think you might be confused. The coils inside the refrigerator/freezer are called the evaporator coil. The condenser coil and condenser fan motor are located behind the refrigerator, behind the bottom panel. I would first check to see if the fan is running properly. The condenser fan keeps the condenser coil cool, if it doesn't run it will get too hot and the refrigerator/freezer won't cool properly. Since you are getting a condenser fan error code, I would check this first.
    The condenser fan is appears to be running fine. I have cleaned the coils also. The evaporetor fan for the freezer is the one that is not running.

If the evaporator fan in the freezer isn't running, then freezer won't cool properly. Keep in mind that some fans will not run unless the door is shut. So you might have to hold down the door switch to get it to run. How many wires go to that fan motor? See the attached diagram below. Which number in the diagram is the fan motor that isn't running?

(click to enlarge)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rm255labp.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	72
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

If the evaporator fan in the freezer isn't running, then freezer won't cool properly. Keep in mind that some fans will not run unless the door is shut. So you might have to hold down the door switch to get it to run. How many wires go to that fan motor? See the attached diagram below. Which number in the diagram is the fan motor that isn't running?

(click to enlarge)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rm255labp.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	72
    10-9 is not runnning, three wires. When I hold the door switch in the closed position it still is not running.

If the fan motor isn't running you could have a bad fan motor, bad main control board, bad door switch, or a wiring issue. I would do a voltage test at the motor (voltage is DC on this motor) to see if power is getting to the motor. Make sure the door switch is held down when testing the voltage. Remember there is a risk of electrocution/shock when working on a plugged in appliance. If the motor is getting power, then the fan motor is most likely bad and will need to be replaced.

This is the evaporator motor for your model:

Evaporator Fan Motor - DA31-00020E
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

If the fan motor isn't running you could have a bad fan motor, bad main control board, bad door switch, or a wiring issue. I would do a voltage test at the motor (voltage is DC on this motor) to see if power is getting to the motor. Make sure the door switch is held down when testing the voltage. Remember there is a risk of electrocution/shock when working on a plugged in appliance. If the motor is getting power, then the fan motor is most likely bad and will need to be replaced.

This is the evaporator motor for your model:

Evaporator Fan Motor - DA31-00020E
    Thanks my thoughts also. It nice to have a second opion.

Let us know how the repair goes for you.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

The freezer cooled down to 36 but want go lower. My next step is to replce the board. Can you think of anything eles it could be?

Does the new fan motor run?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

No it is not tuning even when the door switch is bypassed.

Running hit the wrong key

It is most likely the main control board not sending power to the fan motor. About the only other things that I can think of are if there is a temperature sensor that is bad, or if there is a wiring problem somewhere. I also emailed you a link to the service manual

This is the main control board for your refrigerator:

Main Control Board - DA41-00318A
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

I'm ordering one now will update after I install the board.

Sounds good, keep me posted.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

The board arrived and was installed. The temp next ranges from 38 to 56 degrees. What's your thoughts? I have not had time to work on the problem sincce I installed the board.