Thread: replacing thermal fuse & thermostat on whirlpool duet

replacing thermal fuse & thermostat on whirlpool duet

Model Number: GEW9200LWO
    Brand: Other

2 months ago my dryer had no heat. Thermal cut-off had no continuity, but I also replaced thermostat since they came as a set when I ordered. I cleaned out a LOT of lent from the exhaust vent, so assume this is what caused the problem. It worked fine for a couple of months. It went out again, I took it a part and found the thermal cut-off was bad again. I also found that the heating element had a crack and a burned look on the base, even-though it showed continuity. I have received replacement parts for heating element, thermal cut-off, and high limit thermostat. I do not want to have to fix again, so I'm checking all possibilities for the failure. On my instruction sheet for the thermal cutoff kit it says to check 1M-2M motor switch contact and heat circuit timer contacts. Is this something I can do? How do I check that these are open? I suppose it means no continuity should be found at these contacts, but where are they? Thanks for any help. I'm new to dryer repair. I intended only to clean out vent and cabinet of all lent, but one thing led to another and I'm still at it...ugh.
    Last edited by sjudge; 12-17-2015 at 05:49 PM.

I just checked, the thermal fuse and thermistor are good. If you can let me know about how to check for the open contacts on 1M-2M motor switch and heat circuit timer, I will reassemble. I'm hoping the lint build up caused all the problems 2 months ago, including the cracked heating element. The heating element continued to work, but the crack caused the overheating and the cut-off failed. Is that possible?