Thread: GE Profile Ice Maker Blower Fan not working

GE Profile Ice Maker Blower Fan not working

Model Number: PFCS1RKZH
    Brand: GE

This refrigerator is about 2 1/2 yrs old. The ice maker compartment is not getting cold enough to freeze ice. I contacted Sears, who sent a repair tech out to house. He first checked panel for the voltage being sent to the ice maker blower motor, and it was normal. Then he pulled the bottom freezer door off, and eventually exposed the blower fan. The fan blades would "jitter" like it was trying to start, but then stop. He checked the voltage at the plug coming out of the back of the freezer, and it was good. So he figured the fan was bad. Ordered a new fan, plugged it in, and got same result. Tech said that the new fan must be bad, and ordered another one. Tech came out this AM to install the 2nd replacement fan, and SAME RESULT. So that is the original plus TWO replacement fans, and they all behave the same way. He had no other solution but to order a 3rd replacement. I have seen similar posts regarding this issue, but they seemed to relate to thermostat issues, or voltage problems. My thinking is that if the wires coming out of the back of the freezer which feed the blower motor are getting the correct voltage/power readings, and the blower fan will not spin, that it has to be the blower motor, but now that I am ordering my 3rd replacement, is that possible? Any help would be appreciated!

Apparently a lot have seen this post, but no one has any thoughts on it. I have some further info. The 3rd replacement blower fan was installed a few days ago, and it will not spin. The tech now thinks I have an issue with voltage drop. When he holds in the door close button for the freezer, he can get the fan to start, but when he to turn releases the button, and the lights come on, the blower stops, due to the added load. The only option he came up with was to replaced the main board, and if that does not solve the issue, he said they are unable to fix the unit. This is only a 3 year old refrigerator, and I cannot believe I will end up with a $2k garage fridge. Anyone out there have any thoughts on this?

Hi, I have almost the same problem with the ice fan blades not moving. Have you ever figured out what the problem was? Did you get any help at all?

I doubt that both of the fan motors would be defective and have the exact same symptoms. On some GE refrigerators the DC fans operate on what is called Pulse Width Modulation (PWM). Each fan is pulsed with voltage (frequency) to operate that specific fan motor and can operate at different speeds depending on the PWM signal supplied to that fan motor. So even though the fan motor is receiving voltage it may not run the fan motor because it is not receiving the PWM. Sometimes a bad main control board can cause this, or it could be something like a bad temperature sensor and the main control board doesn't think the temperature is warm enough in the ice maker compartment to start running the fan motor again. Let us know what you find.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Wow I have the exact same issue on the exact same model. The specific problem with mine is that out of the 2 vents that feed up into the fridge and direct cold air into the ice box, there is no cold air coming out of the top vent. I'm not sure where to start on this. Doc Ryan you seem to be the expert on this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleJuice View Post
    Wow I have the exact same issue on the exact same model. The specific problem with mine is that out of the 2 vents that feed up into the fridge and direct cold air into the ice box, there is no cold air coming out of the top vent. I'm not sure where to start on this. Doc Ryan you seem to be the expert on this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
    In some cases the air passages can get blocked with frost or ice. If you think this might be the case you will need to unplug the refrigerator for 24-48 hours and leave the doors open to let it warm up to room temperature to let it melt any ice or frost buildup in those air passages.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    In some cases the air passages can get blocked with frost or ice. If you think this might be the case you will need to unplug the refrigerator for 24-48 hours and leave the doors open to let it warm up to room temperature to let it melt any ice or frost buildup in those air passages.
    Thank you for the reply. What if I blow a hairdryer into it for awhile or something else? It seems like it might be easier to try rather than emptying everything and waiting 1-2 days but I really don't know. Please advise.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleJuice View Post
    Thank you for the reply. What if I blow a hairdryer into it for awhile or something else? It seems like it might be easier to try rather than emptying everything and waiting 1-2 days but I really don't know. Please advise.
    The air passages are in the liner of the refrigerator and they are insulated. You cannot access them directly to melt with a blow dryer.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    The air passages are in the liner of the refrigerator and they are insulated. You cannot access them directly to melt with a blow dryer.
    Ok thanks for the reply. I will try your recommendation then once I find an ideal time to do it.

I repair appliances for a living but this GE technology is nuts. I ran into same thing this week. Blower fan was not blowing. I spun it with a screw driver and it started. I assumed it must be the blower fan. Installed today and fan is not spinning. The little voice in my head saying don't touch this and tell customer to call GE was right. Hoping fan may start once board resets but I am sure I will be getting a call in the morning stating that it is still not producing ice. PWM voltage?? Need a Ph.D. In engineering to work on these new GE fridges.

I think I should check my fan as well before emptying the whole thing and waiting a couple days to defrost. My thoughts are that if the fan works or is stuck then I probably do have an ice buildup issue somewhere and should let it defrost. If the fan is not stuck but just doesn't work then either I will replace the fan if it's easy or let GE folks takeover from there.

GE ICE Maker Fan not working

I have a GE Cafe Model# CFCPIRKBDSS having the same issues with the Ice Maker Fan. I performed a Control Diagnostics Test: 1/1 Fan Speed Test and Ice Maker Fan Run. Performed the 1/6 Test Mode Exit followed by 1/5 Refrigerator Reset and the unplugged the refrigerator for 30 seconds. This one time the ice maker fan continued to run and produce ice for 2 days. At day three the Ice Maker Fan stopped working. Tried the 1/1 Fan Speed Test and fan would not run. Any ideas what to do next??????

Exact issue here. Mine is an LG lfx25960st and I’ve had ice issues forever. I’ve replaced every part and have just ordered a new main board.

I replaced the ice box fan assembly and it still didn’t work even though it had voltage to connector. I could feel the fan slightly pulse so figure fan was bad. Nope.

So let’s hope this replacement board fixes it.

I too have a very light breeze coming from bottom vent for ice box and read where that could be residual from other blower fan.

B.

Hello All,

I just wanted to provide an update on this issue as I had a tech come out. Fan in the freezer was doing the same jitter thing as mentioned in the beginning of this thread. Voltage would shift just a hair from 13ish to mid 12ish. After a couple new fans having the exact same issue the tech advised that GE said the next step would be to replace the main controller board. However this would not be guaranteed to work and I would not get reimbursed as I did for the fans because the board is not returnable once used. The cost for that would be $300. Turns out you can get the OEM board from Amazon for ~$150. The nice thing about Amazon is that if it didn't work I would have easily been able to return it just by saying I don't need it. However I'm glad to share that it did work and has been working great ever since! FYI the board was super easy to put in...maybe 10 minutes total if even that. There are videos on youtube to show you how. Hopefully this will help someone.

Water in ice tray will not freeze.

Doc Ryan,
    I am having the same issue with my GE Café CFSP5RKBCSS. Water in tray will not freeze.
    Cool air coming out of the lower vent to the ice maker, none out of the top.
    Everything else is working fine. Ice maker does reset and rotate.
    Do you think it is the Control Board ?
    Last edited by Mechanical; 08-28-2020 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Added more info.