Thread: How to tell if bake and broil elements are bad or is it control panel?

How to tell if bake and broil elements are bad or is it control panel?

Model Number: FEF336ECE
    Brand: Frigidaire

Yesterday afternoon oven works fine. Last night it would not heat up. I also checked broil and that would not work either and it worked fine last time I used it in the last month. How do I tell if the elements are bad or if the control panel went bad or if it is something else. Stove top works fine. Any help would be appreciated. Not exactly sure of age of unit, was here when we bought place 3 years ago.

Eileen,

If the top burners are working okay, then that means that the stove is getting adequate power. It is not very likely that the bake element and broil elements would burn out at the same time, so it is most likely the control board that is bad. With the stove unplugged, you can remove the back panel of the range. I would inspect and look for any burn spots on the control board, burned or broken wires, and if you have access to an multimeter or ohm meter you can test the bake and broil elements for continuity. This is how you can test the elements to see if they are good or bad. Let us know how the repair goes for you.

Before replacing the control board, make sure the overlay (sticker on the front that labels the buttons) will peal off in one piece. If it doesn't, then you will need to order the overlay too.

These are the parts for your range:

Oven Control Board - 316455400

Touchpad Overlay (Black) - 316220701
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Thanks Doc Ryan! I already took off the back panel ad saw no signs of burns etc. One of the first things I did. I checked prices and it seems the control panel will cost about $185 in your opinion is it worth the investment?

oops make that $98.65 much better! Worth it?

Yes, if the rest of the range is in good condition, I would say $100 fixing your range is a much better deal than $600+ for a new one.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Thanks I plan on remodeling the kitchen in the next year and buying new appliances but not ready yet...

It's up to you . Most used smoothtop ranges still sell for $200-400 in our local area on craigslist. It might be worth fixing, using it for a while, and then selling it on craigslist when it is time to remodel the kitchen. Plus it will keep an appliance out of the landfill!
    Ryan

PartsDr.com