Thread: [FIXED] Kitchen Aid, rinse aid problem

Patient

[FIXED] Kitchen Aid, rinse aid problem

Model Number: KDTE104DSS0
    Brand: KitchenAid

The rinse aid empties in just 3 or 4 days.
    I replaced the dispenser and this didn't correct the problem. The mechanical plastic levers in the back seem to work ok on both the old and the replacement part. The soap dispenser door does open ok indicating to me that the solenoid is ok. After the door opens the levers reset so that the next power up of the solenoid injects the rinse aid.

I ran the diagnostics and got a function 5 error code 1 (Door stuck open) and a function 10 error code 1 (dispenser electrical problem).

Since the soap dispenser door opens I am assuming the wiring is ok.

Do you think I will have to replace the control? My guess is it is sending repeated voltage to the solenoid and that is injecting the rinse aid.

This dishwasher is less than two (2) years old. The rinse aid usually only had to be filled every month or so.

Thanks

It sounds like the main control board might be bad. The main control board is what sends power to the dispenser and tells it when to dispense the rinse aid. If you have already replaced the dispenser and know that it is good, then it is probably the control board that is bad. There could also be a possibility that there is a short in the wiring somewhere, but that would be pretty rare.

This is the main control board for your model dishwasher:

Main Control Board - Part # PD00025050 (mfg # W10757522)
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Patient
    Thanks "Doc"
    for the reply. I tend to agree. I have talked to a tech locally and am going to try another dispenser. Then if that doesn't work probably the main control board will be the next thing to try.
    I did try the diagnostic routine again and got the same results. (function 10, error code -1 (dispenser electrical problem). I have (with the dispenser uninstalled) manually tripped the solenoid. On the first power up the soap dispenser door opens, after that cycle the mechanism in the dispenser (a set of very ingenious levers) resets itself so that the next time the solenoid is powered the rinse aid plunger (pump) cycles. I guess the only way it would malfunction and keep dispensing rinse aid would be that the solenoid gets repeated intervals of voltage.
    I may try and run the dishwasher with the outer part of the door removed and watch what the dispenser solenoid actually does. (that might take quite some time).

Thanks again for you reply.. I will let you know the progress. It's really disappointing that there is a problem with this machine. It's only 20 months old.!
    Dave H.

Quote Originally Posted by dhuston View Post
    I guess the only way it would malfunction and keep dispensing rinse aid would be that the solenoid gets repeated intervals of voltage.
    Yes, I agree. If you have enough time to stare at it with the door off throughout the cycle you should be able to witness it acting up.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Patient

follow up on rinse aid problem

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    Yes, I agree. If you have enough time to stare at it with the door off throughout the cycle you should be able to witness it acting up.
    Follow up on rinse aid problem. The rinse aid dispenser was dispensing too much liquid. It would empty itself in only 3 or 4 cycles. The dispenser was replace twice and the problem remained. I ran the washer with the front door panel removed so as to observe the solenoid. This was observed:

When the solenoid was energized it remained activated for the entire wash cycle. It felt quite warm (hot) to the touch. Thus in this cycle it couldn't have dispensed rinse aid. I doubt if this is normal. This was an express cycle.

The self diagnostics routine indicated a problem with the dispenser wiring. There were two intermittent codes. One was for the door switch and the other with the fill switch. Neither of these actually seemed to be a problem. IE the washer started and stopped ok when the door was opened and closed. The water level looked normal and the washer didn't overfill.

The control board was replaced and tested with the original dispenser. The over dispensing problem remained. I replaced the original dispenser with a new one and ran the dishwasher with the new control board. The dispensing seems to be normal now. The self diagnostics indicate no trouble codes.

I did fill the original dispenser and left it on the counter in a normal operating position. It didn't leak. I can only conclude that possibly there was a crack or leak of some sort that would only happen during the drying cycle.. ie when it is quite warm inside the cabinet. I also concluded that the logic in the control board was damaged. Thus the dispenser electrical problem and the other seemingly incorrect error codes.
    In any case the problem is now solved. Kitchen Aid does have a 5 year warranty on the electronics so the control was still under warranty. No labor though. ($195.00). The dispenser isn't covered

Thanks for your earlier input!

Dave H

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the update. I have updated the status of this thread to FIXED. My guess is that since the main control board was sending power to the rinse aid dispenser throughout the remainder of the cycle, it ruined something on the dispenser since it is not designed to be energized for the long of a time frame.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com