Thread: [FIXED] Maytag Gas Dryer intermittent heat

[FIXED] Maytag Gas Dryer intermittent heat

Model Number: DG410
    Brand: Maytag

I have a 1979 Maytag DG410 gas dryer that I am (stubbornly) reluctant to replace because it hasn't completely given up the ghost and we're on a tight budget. Here's what it does: If I run it after it has been sitting for a few days I can usually get it to almost dry one load if the "delicate" button is pushed rather than "regular" and if I use it on "more dry" rather than the timed or the permanent press options. When I push "start" the igniter glows white hot and there is an audible click and then the gas ignites. The problem is, after the cycle is about 30 or so minutes in, the igniter is no longer able to ignite the gas. You can hear the click where it's trying to but it's as if the gas isn't being released (or at least not making contact) even though it was earlier in the cycle. So naturally at this point the cycle becomes nothing more than air fluff and clothes remain slightly damp. I realize this is a very old dryer and it's still kicking only because I've already replaced the igniter, a belt and some drum related part (can't remember which one). My husband thinks this is unlikely but is there anyway there could be a partial obstruction on the gas line? And if so, who does one call for help with that? Our local gas company? Any thoughts about a particular part that might need replacing? FYI: All lint etc. has been loosened and removed from filter, vent and even the inside cavity of the unit — i.e. this unit is CLEAN and free of clogs.

If the ignitor glows and ignites at the beginning of the cycle, but later in the cycle it glows and click and the flame doesn't come on then that is usually a sign of bad gas coils. As the gas coils get older they can get "weak" and work at the beginning of the cycle but not later in the cycle. It could also be a bad gas valve, but usually if the gas valve is bad the dryer wont lite at all. Let us know what you find.

These are the gas coils for your model dryer:

Gas Valve Coil Kit - Part # PD00003391 (mfg # 12001348)
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

OK thanks ... Someone on another forum suggested this part: http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDeta.../12001348/2780
    Is this the same thing at a higher price? They look the same but the names are different.

Yes, they are the exact same part but the other store is higher priced.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Ok, thanks — I'll let you know how it turns out!

My Maytag DG710 takes the same coil kit. I'm experiencing same problem requiring installation of new coils. Only question is the color of the new coils does not match my old coils.

Secondary coil on my machine is Blue/white
    Holding Coil is Black/Blue
    Booster Coil is Black/White

Apparently this is the same replacement coil kit that should fit my machine. As the coils are hard wired with wire nuts, does the polarity matter? If it does, how should I wire them in?

Quote Originally Posted by TheAVguy View Post
    My Maytag DG710 takes the same coil kit. I'm experiencing same problem requiring installation of new coils. Only question is the color of the new coils does not match my old coils.

Secondary coil on my machine is Blue/white
    Holding Coil is Black/Blue
    Booster Coil is Black/White

Apparently this is the same replacement coil kit that should fit my machine. As the coils are hard wired with wire nuts, does the polarity matter? If it does, how should I wire them in?
    Polarity on the coils should not matter on these.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Thank you! I successfully installed the new replacement coils and dryer is working like a champ again. Might be a coincidence but when I first installed the coils, no flame. Since the Holding and Booster coils are stacked, I swapped leads on one of the coils and then I get flame. Oddly the instructions that came with the new coil kit advise one to connect the new coils to like wire colors. Since that is not possible, good to hear I did not mess up the wiring. Anyway all working good as new! Thank you for the response and piece of mind I did not wire up the new coils incorrectly.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAVguy View Post
    Thank you! I successfully installed the new replacement coils and dryer is working like a champ again. Might be a coincidence but when I first installed the coils, no flame. Since the Holding and Booster coils are stacked, I swapped leads on one of the coils and then I get flame. Oddly the instructions that came with the new coil kit advise one to connect the new coils to like wire colors. Since that is not possible, good to hear I did not mess up the wiring. Anyway all working good as new! Thank you for the response and piece of mind I did not wire up the new coils incorrectly.
    That is great to hear the dryer is working again!
    Ryan

PartsDr.com