Thread: water flow rate so slow , dishwasher wont operate properly.

water flow rate so slow , dishwasher wont operate properly.

Model Number: KUDE60PA3
    Brand: KitchenAid

Hi,

I live in a community water tank system when we all come home at night ,the water pressure drops so low the that my dishwasher fills to 1/2" below heater coil . I'm looking for a higher flow rate valve for my kitchenaid dishwasher .I have tried to find flow rate but nobody wants/has this information. Any ideas ?
    thanks gary 3

The model number that you provided does not come up as a valid model number. On most KitchenAid dishwashers the water is not supposed to touch the heating element after it has filled with water. The heating element works by water splashing and falling onto it during the wash cycles. The manufacture does not offer different flow rates for the water valves. You will have to make sure your house water supply meets the manufactures specifications for your model dishwasher in order for it to operate correctly.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    The model number that you provided does not come up as a valid model number. On most KitchenAid dishwashers the water is not supposed to touch the heating element after it has filled with water. The heating element works by water splashing and falling onto it during the wash cycles. The manufacture does not offer different flow rates for the water valves. You will have to make sure your house water supply meets the manufactures specifications for your model dishwasher in order for it to operate correctly.

Thank you Doc,

model # KUDE60FVPA3

What started me looking closer was a sour smell when I opened after normal wash cycle. The community water system has high minerals and the use of Lemi-shine keeps the minerals from sticking . After 4 years and the smell started I ran a vinegar cycle empty on heavy duty wash which worked for a few day's then I ran a dishwasher cleaner which lasted a week then I ran TPS (TRISODIUM PHOSPHATE) and the smell came back
    again so I started to look at the water level and remember from years back the water was always covering the heater coil which directed me to think
    about the low pressure water we have at night. Any ideas ?

thank you gary

Can you post of picture of it when it is full of water so I can see what it looks like?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dishwasher.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	444

normal wash or 1 hour wash fill time 45 sec. then pump started 2-3 sec then shuts down and filled again for about 10 sec. Hard to see water level but its just at the bottom of the filter removal ring and at least 1/2" below heat coil.

Thank you Doc for your help ! ! !

I read all the kitchenaid dishwasher issues and found my tech service document(W10142826B) and started Diagnostics.

4 fault flashes at the beginning and W4-4 and D4-2 at the end of the diagnostics. ALL diverter related so I took all the interior
    apart and found feed tube flappers broke off and floating inside the tube . This needs replacing

The diverter or the control board are the replaceable parts . looking at the diverter ports , the feed tube is always open to port
    water to the rack spray arm . If 4-4 ( stuck on) must represent the switch making contact and never opening . I'm not sure how
    to manually sequence to get to interval 16 so I'll replace diverter .

Looking at the installation I see a short drain hose and NO high loop above garbage disposal. so I'll order a long drain hose
    and a watt's sweeping 90 Deg 3/8" comp to GH adapter .

any thoughts ? ordering parts.

It definitely sounds like you are on the right track. Let me know the results. Thanks for the picture, I don't think the water on this dishwasher should touch the heating element.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Dr. Ryan

Thanks for the support ! and the GREAT part Prices ! !

Replaced Drain line , feed tube , diverter motor valve and installed watts sweeping water supply
    elbow.

Diverter 4-4 fault came down to a shaft seal leak that corroded the board . Found no number on
    the seal. In talking to nick's (support chat) that I need to order the whole tub floor that hold the
    pumps. caught another forum with a maybe a 10-18-4 double lip seal . I'm looking into it unless
    you have tech tip .

Ran diagnostics cold and it seemed to have the same issues or fault codes, Warmed the water and re-ran .
    now I only see one flash ... one flash ... one flash. I can assume my pilot relay stuck on . Must I replace
    the control board or do you have a relay number so I can remove and replace ? do I have safety issue ?
    unit unplugged during service ? your thoughts ?

Filled the washer after a 2 day no washy full sink and WOW the dishes have not looked this good for quite
    some time ! water level up to just over top of the removal screen filter . Hey that reminds me what is the
    best way to check level with the door open ?

I'll get back to you on the seal and this time i'll just pull the tub floor up and change it !

I'm ready for easter dinner at my help Thank you ALL so much ! ! !

Happy Easter ! ! Gary

The manufacture doesn't list a separate diverter valve seal for this dishwasher, they say it is part number the sump assembly part number PD00005732. I know some of the other Whirlpool dishwashers use part number PD00004713 for the diverter valve shaft seal, but they are not listing this for your dishwasher. If you want, could try it at your own risk. If you do try it and it does work please let me know so I can add that information to the parts database for your model.

I am not quite following you on the flashing light. Which light was flashing and when do this occur?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Dr. Ryan

I was stating the flashes were one flash... one flash... one flash... with 3 seconds in-between meaning only one fault code 1.
    The pilot relay stuck. I'm not sure how worried about this fault . would be nice to buy the relay do you have a number ?

How about dishwasher level check with door open ?

Happy Easter Dr.

gary

I think it is referring to one of the relay on the control board, which the manufacture does not sell any of those components separately. If the control board is bad, you will have to replace the control board. Yes, I think checking level with the door open should be fine. Happy Easter!
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Dr Ryan,

K1 pilot relay stuck on is the one(1) and only fault I see, Do I really need to worry about this relay stuck on ? unit unplugged during servicing and the controller controls the units to respond and switches are ground logic feedback . Or perhaps the controller is in a degraded state and will fail completely. Ouch ! $$

Went to Motion industries. Gave the old diverter motor to measure , however they needs the outer seal size and width, the double lip seal is no issue and common . Would you have a measurement ? I hate to take apart my unit ? Yes I should of thought about this one step further. I'm hoping you may have one ?

What is the procedure for leveling the dishwasher with the door open ?

thanks Gary

Gary,

Does the pilot relay stuck error come on while the dishwasher is running, or only during the service mode? Do you think maybe it is a previously stored error code that is just being saved in memory?

I'm sorry, I do not have the dimensions of the seal.

You can view the installation instructions for your model dishwasher here. These instructions show how to properly level the dishwasher.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Doc,

Fault code 1 came up at the end of diagnostics first ,.The old faults are gone( I assume) from memory.Now when I go back into diagnostics 1 comes
    on before the run and after run. I will check while in diagnostics for faults, as I just hear the unit running and wait till it ends and the heater check.

Today was my first normal cycle, So lets see what heat will do or show for issues .

I ordered some seals ,I'll send you some, can you check them ? I know its just a shot in the dark

ok will download manual for level check .

Thank you Doc Ryan ! !

gary3

Hi doc ,

I received the diverter seals . ready to send you about 10 seals . Address ?
    thanks gary3

Hi gary3,

Sorry, I thought I replied to your previous message. I'm sorry I wouldn't have a way to check your seals to see if they will work.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com