Thread: Freezer working but not cold enough

Freezer working but not cold enough

Model Number: PDS22SCRARSS
    Brand: GE

My bottom freezer just recently started staying too warm (around 10-20 degrees instead of 0). The fridge (on top) stays at the proper temp (37). The condenser stays running nonstop. The condenser fan is running as well. If I crank the freezer temperature up then the condenser turns off properly. I blew a ton of dust out of the condenser coils with compressed air and thought that was going to fix the problem but it has not. The evaporator coils are not frozen over and the defrost thermister tests ok. The evaporator fan is running properly which makes sense since the fridge is the proper temperature. I don't know what else to check. My house is at 85ish degrees due to an ac problem I haven't gotten around to and there is not a ton of room around the freezer for cool fresh air but this freezer has been installed in this location for over 8 years with no issues. It hasn't been this hot in here though but normally in the summer it is 78 which is not far off. I assume the main freezer thermister is working fine because the digital temperature reading in the fridge reads the proper elevated temperature (10-20 degrees). I do notice that the border between the freezer and fridge is very hot but that is probably normal.

Was there an even layer of frost across the entire evaporator coil when you looked at it? If you have a picture of the evaporator coil, post it up please.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

unfortunately, I didn't take a picture. It looked very even to me, it certainly didn't look like the top was frosted and the bottom clean like I've seen in some pictures. This morning the freezer had gotten down to around 3 degrees but now it's up to 7. It seems like it's cooling for the most part but just struggling with that last little bit.

What is the ambient temperature where the refrigerator is located?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter