Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replaced every part on Dryer and it still does not heat

Replaced every part on Dryer and it still does not heat

Model Number: DV331AEW/XAA
    Brand: Samsung

When our dryer stopped heating we went online and did some trouble shooting. We concluded that the thermastor needed to be replaced. When that didn't fix the problem we called a technician. After he tested everything and checked breakers etc., he determined we needed a new computer. When he told us how much it would cost to replace it, we decided to buy the part and do it ourselves. That didn't solve the problem either. I called him and spoke with him about our issue and he said to replace the motor. I went and got the new motor and my husband installed it. Still no heat. Today we bought the heating element assembly and installed it and the dryer still won't heat. We have checked the breakers again and there is nothing left to replace at this point, other than the drum and belt, which I don't think have anything to do with heat. I have never used dryer sheets, I clean the vent after every single load and have vacuumed every inch of every part of this dryer. We are completely stumped and beyond frustrated. Hanging our clothes to dry all over the house has really become a chore. Please advise if anyone can think of anything we may not have tried. We could have bought a new machine with what we have spent. Help!!
    Last edited by JoJoBean; 07-05-2016 at 07:55 PM.

Doc
    What do you mean by check the breakers?

Did you check the voltage at the wall plug and also at the terminal strip in the unit?

If yes what were the volatges.
    L1 to Neutral
    L2 to Neutral and
    L1 to L2.

The technician said he checked the voltage, and that everything was fine, but we are starting to think that maybe he was shady. So, my husband is going to pick up a multi meter to check the voltage for himself. I have a feeling, after replacing every single part on this dryer, that it is going to be voltage related, grrrr. Please stand by and I will report our findings! Thank you a bunch for responding!!

Well, after using the multi meter, the voltages all check out fine. This is beyond perplexing.

Can you please list the part numbers of the parts you have replaced?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Doc
    Also do you have the tech sheet/wiring diagram?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    Can you please list the part numbers of the parts you have replaced?
    Dryer electronic control board Part #: DC92-00382A

Dryer drive motor Part #: DC93-00101D

Dryer heating element assembly Part #: DC97-14486A

thanks for your help!

The parts you replaced are all of the heating components listed in the wiring diagram on this model dryer. If the dryer is not heating after replacing these parts there must be a break in one of the wires somewhere. Have you checked the wires where the power cord attaches to the terminal block on the back of the dryer for any burned or broken wires?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    The parts you replaced are all of the heating components listed in the wiring diagram on this model dryer. If the dryer is not heating after replacing these parts there must be a break in one of the wires somewhere. Have you checked the wires where the power cord attaches to the terminal block on the back of the dryer for any burned or broken wires?
    Yes.
    I tested both legs and each leg reads 110v to neutral.
    The leads are tight and look brand new.
    Everything else works, just no heat.

Stumped.

Doc
    You said "I tested both legs and each leg reads 110v to neutral." but did you check for the 240 volts (L1 to L2)?

Just checking for 120 is no good as one side of the line can feed through some parts and show up on the other side of the line.

Just checked L1 to L2 and meter shows 220v. What is my next step?

Doc
    Do you have the tech sheet / wiring diagram?
    You will need this to help track down where the heater circuit is open.

I will try and locate it, and I will let you know what I find. Thank you for sticking with me on this!!

Doc
    Since you do not have it try the following.
    The pdf is too big to attach directly on this site so I have had to use a third party site.
    Hopefully it will work for you.

https://www.datafilehost.com/d/5af871a0

Uncheck "Download with Secured Download manager"
    Then use the light grey Download button.
    This should ensure that you do not download any software that you do not want on your computer

I LOVE you

I do not know you, but I love you!! My husband just used the information you sent and starting running thru the tests on the dryer. He had no idea what he was doing, other than going thru a sequence that you sent. He would turn the dryer on periodically to see if it was working and it is now working!!!!!! This has been a nightmare for many weeks. Can you shed some light on what just happened?? I am just wondering if after he replaced the first part, if he would have tested it, it would have started working. My guess is that there was some sort of "reset" that just occurred. Whatever it is, you rock, you are the best and thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking so much time to see this situation thru to the end!!!

Doc
    All I can think of is that there was a loose/bad connection in the heating circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by denman View Post
    All I can think of is that there was a loose/bad connection in the heating circuit.

Well, whatever it was, you were very kind to help us thru to the end and we appreciate you very very much!

Denman -- can you please repost whatever file you shared with JojoBean? We're having the exact same problems and I'd love to go through the sequence that you sent her.

Doc
    I do not remember exactly what I sent.

But reading the post it was probably a tech sheet or a service manual so I need your model number.

I will then see if I can find either for tour unit

Also what has been done/checked so far?
    Last edited by denman; 03-26-2018 at 04:43 AM.

Thank you so much for the offer to help, denman. Our model number is Sumsung Dryer (DV45H7000EW/A2). We've replaced almost everything on it at this point. I started out replacing the heating coil/element, thermal fuse and thermostat on heating assembly. They all checked out fine with the multimeter, but the heating element board was split, so I thought this might because causing an intermittent effect. So, I replaced the whole assembly. It didn't fix the problem.

Then, I replaced the control board -- didn't work. Then, I replaced the motor because I'd read it could be the centrifugal switch in the motor. And that repair was really challenging because the blower wheel fused to the shaft (so I guess we replaced the blower wheel too). Still didn't work. Then I replaced the thermistor and thermal fuse on the blower housing. In retrospect, I should have done this first or second, but I didn't realize that that there was a second thermal fuse -- I thought the only thermal fuse was on the heating assembly -- and got the thermistor confused with thermostat and didn't realize that they were different parts. Stupid, but that was my learning process.

This worked, but only for about 5 loads. Then it started tripping the breaker. I was able to reset the breaker and it would work again. But this probably only lasted for 10 loads and then it stopped heating altogether (and no longer tripped the breaker). I replaced the thermistor and thermal fuse again, thinking maybe I got bad replacement parts, but then it didn't work at all.

I also checked the cord and outlet for voltage and both were putting out the correct 120/240 where appropriate. I tried to check some connections on the control board -- for the power relay (black and blue thick wires) and the thermistor (red and blue thin wires on one of the white harnesses). But, I'm not really sure if I was doing these correctly because the video on checking the relay had some debate that it wasn't done correctly. So, I'm not totally sure about these last two points.

It seems like the heating circuit is open somewhere or the relay for some reason is being prevented from sending the voltage to the heating assembly that is should. I could replace the control board again, but it just seems so unlikely that both control boards have the same failure (I've swapped them both out and the problem remains). There also appears to be no problems with the wires -- nothing visually indicating that any of them have been burned/melted, but I'm not sure if there is a way that could happen and they still look fine (and I could check the wires).

The dryer does run just fine otherwise -- moisture sensor, etc. appears to be working and passed in test mode. Drum turns just fine, etc. But when test mode was ran, HE is the code that comes up, which is expected since it's not heating at all.

That's all I know/done at this point.

I do not remember exactly what I sent.

But reading the post it was probably a tech sheet or a service manual so I need your model number.

I will then see if I can find either for tour unit

Also what has been done/checked so far?