Thread: [FIXED] Replacing the Thermistor - Help!

[FIXED] Replacing the Thermistor - Help!

Model Number: 40249032012
    Brand: Sears Kenmore

Hello!

I got an error code tE on our washer on Tuesday, and the Samsung thermistor repair part (#PD00006534) is due to arrive today. I'm going to attempt to replace it myself (!!!), but I'm having problems finding a detailed diagram of the inside of the model. The manual just lists the basics - no sign of where the thermistor might be. Our machine is a Kenmore front load washer, model #40249032012.

Has anyone made this repair on this machine? Or a similar one? I'd love to find the diagram of where things are, or even better, advice on how to go about it. I'm a repair novice, but have had some success with basic repairs. We're getting desperate for laundry (a toddler does that to you!)!

Many thanks!
    Sarah
    Last edited by lucythecat; 07-07-2016 at 10:34 PM. Reason: added model number

Well I haven't replaced this part on this washer and I can't find any good pictures to send you, but usually the sensor is located towards the bottom of the tub of the washer and on most washers it is located on the front or back of the washer. If you can, take a picture and post where it was located on this washer.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Hi, Ryan!

Thanks for replying. I cant seem to get the washer disassembled... I've found a couple videos for similar machines, but not my particular machine. Do you happen to know if there's a video out there that shows us how to disassemble it, or a similar (enough) washer? Ugh!

THANK YOU!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    Well I haven't replaced this part on this washer and I can't find any good pictures to send you, but usually the sensor is located towards the bottom of the tub of the washer and on most washers it is located on the front or back of the washer. If you can, take a picture and post where it was located on this washer.

Okay! We did it! The sensor was located toward the bottom of the tub on the back, like you suggested. (Photos attached). The part I ordered was the correct part, but it turns out one of the wires that plugged into the thermistor was severed (!?) so we managed to reconnect it in the plug, and it's working fine.

Dumb question, but do you know how/where we can purchase a replacement for the apparatus that plugs into the thermistor? Is that fairly standard, like at a hardware store? It is the white wire in hand in pic #1.

Anyway, if anyone gets the "tE" error code on this machine, all you have to do is take off the back panel, which was super easy (a smaller hatch door that pops off pretty easily after unscrewing), and you'll see the thermistor right away. We had watched a bunch of videos of other models that were wayyy more involved than this model!

Thanks for your help, Ryan!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0798.jpg   IMG_0799.jpg   IMG_0800.jpg  

Thanks for the update and posting the pictures! I have updated the status of this thread to FIXED. The broken wire in your picture is only sold as part of the wiring harness of the washer, part number PD00030301. This wiring harness connects to quite a few components on the washer so it might be time consuming to replace depending on how easily you can access those components. Some people will repair this type of problem by cutting off the plugs and splicing the wires together by soldering and heating shrinking the connections. You would also probably have to splice in a small section of wire to lengthen the wires where the plug used to be.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Hi Ryan!

Thanks so much for all your help, and hopefully it'll help someone else in the future! And thanks for the part number. At this point, we'll probably try to avoid the replacement part and reconnecting everything, since it sounds like maybe soldering the wires may be easiest. Can we just bypass the one wire connection out of the plug, and leave the others as is? Or do you think it's better to cut/solder/shrinking both the wires?

Thanks again!!!
    Sarah

Thanks for the update and posting the pictures! I have updated the status of this thread to FIXED. The broken wire in your picture is only sold as part of the wiring harness of the washer, part number PD00030301. This wiring harness connects to quite a few components on the washer so it might be time consuming to replace depending on how easily you can access those components. Some people will repair this type of problem by cutting off the plugs and splicing the wires together by soldering and heating shrinking the connections. You would also probably have to splice in a small section of wire to lengthen the wires where the plug used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by lucythecat View Post
    Hi Ryan!

Thanks so much for all your help, and hopefully it'll help someone else in the future! And thanks for the part number. At this point, we'll probably try to avoid the replacement part and reconnecting everything, since it sounds like maybe soldering the wires may be easiest. Can we just bypass the one wire connection out of the plug, and leave the others as is? Or do you think it's better to cut/solder/shrinking both the wires?

Thanks again!!!
    Sarah
    You could do one and not the other. It's up to you and if you think it is best to do it that way. It shouldn't make much of a difference, it really just comes down to preference.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com