Thread: [FIXED] Kitchenaid refrigerator ice level control Power Source

[FIXED] Kitchenaid refrigerator ice level control Power Source

Model Number: Model KSSC36QMS02
    Brand: KitchenAid

Hi All, I have just replaced the Emitter and Receiver Boards Part W10757851 but I still do not show any flashing lights from the receiver board. I did notice some burnt shorting marks around the old emitter securing screw holes . Where does the board get its power supply from as I think this is a power supply issue now. Does anyone have a control circuit diagram. I have a general wiring schematic that shows That the power comes into the receiver on Pins 3 & 4, and on the Emitter on Pins 1 & 4 but this diagram does not identify source. It is just a typical ladder style schematic showing a general 115V supply. I have power to everything else and everything is working except the ice maker.

I appreciate any feedback

Thank you

Hi,

We currently don't have a digital copy of the wiring diagram available. If you located the schematic on the refrigerator behind the bottom grill that is usually the only one the manufacture has available.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Thanks

Thank you for your reply,

I was hoping that someone had already identified the power supply source so they could direct me in the right direction. I would assume that it would come from one of the main PCB's, but do not understand why I have power to everything else. Maybe this circuit is fused somewhere?. Maybe wishful thinking!.

I did purchase the replacement Emitter and Receiver Boards Part W10757851from "Parts Dr", so I am assuming that they are OK. I will try to check for power on the Plugs of the Emitter and Receiver.

I will check behind the bottom grill to check for wiring schematics.

Hi,

We currently don't have a digital copy of the wiring diagram available. If you located the schematic on the refrigerator behind the bottom grill that is usually the only one the manufacture has available.[/QUOTE]

I think these optics boards are usually powered directly. Meaning they don't usually get power from another control board. I sent you a PM with a link to download the service manual for this ice maker system. Let me know what you find.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Optice power supply

Thank you Ryan,

I have confirmed that there is no power to the optics board. I found the manufactures schematics taped to the side of the heat exchanger at top of fridge . These show that the freezer section gets it power supply from a plugged source from somewhere in the Unit compartment?. The Main control Board service sheet schematic shows Pin 5 LB/BK on plug P6 going to the ice maker, but I cannot see where WH Neutral is being routed. I would have thought the same plug, but it does not show that. I guess I have to locate the main control board and see what I can deduce from there.

Have attached Schematics sheets 1 to 3.

I will revert,
    Best regards

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    I think these optics boards are usually powered directly. Meaning they don't usually get power from another control board. I sent you a PM with a link to download the service manual for this ice maker system. Let me know what you find.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Again Ryan,

I have just realized that there is a disconnect between the published schematics that were with the Fridge. The Diagram on the last page of the Service and wiring sheet 2306332A does not correlate to the Main Control Board service sheet 2302865REL.For example on the "Ladder" Schematic it shows LB/BK going to Connector P5 pin 5, but on the Main control sheet it shows LB/BK coming from Pin 5 of P6. There are many other anomalies so one cannot effectively problem solve from these. I have started to physically ring the wires out with continuity checks to determine where they actually go. I do have a measured voltage of 6.5v at the receiver Board between pins 3 and 8 (WH and LB/Bk), so something is amiss on the feed from P6 and I assume the Control Board. It is probably wishful thinking but is there a circuit diagram of the control board 2303934. I am aware that this part is no longer available as a spare so maybe there is a simple repair if I can identify the failed part of the circuit. I have visually examined the board and cannot see any blown capacitors or other physical signs of damage.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

Whirlpool doesn't publish circuit diagrams for the control boards.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

The fault was on the control board. Once I actually removed the board from the housing I could see that the printed circuit to connector P5 was damaged. I replaced the board and now I have power to the emitter/ receiver. Its still to soon to know if I have resolved the ice making issues, but at least the emitter/receiver lights are working as they should. I purchased the replacement board from :

FixYourBoard.com, LLC
    9217 Highway 290 West Suite 200
    Austin, TX 78736
    512-355-1108

http://www.fixyourboard.com/

Great little company that offer 2 year guarantee on the boards. Replacement cost $250 with exchange. I used this company as it was local to me.

This thread can close now, If I have other issues I will start a new thread.

Thanks for the feed back Ryan.

I posted a final comment yesterday Ryan, but it is not showing. It was the control board, the printed circuit to connector P5 was damaged.

Thanks for the update, I have updated the status of this thread to FIXED. Your post got flagged as possible spam so I had to approve it before it would show up.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com