Thread: [FIXED] Gas dryer igniter won't heat up

[FIXED] Gas dryer igniter won't heat up

Model Number: Mgdc200xw2
    Brand: Maytag

Gas dryer igniter won't heat up at times. The dryer works when it wants to. I changed the the thermal fuse, igniter and flame sensor. I checked all fuses on the back with an ohm meter and everything checks out fine. But for some reason the igniter only heats up once in a while. I would have to keep oning and offing it till it heats up to flame. Sometimes it doesn't so I just leave it running and hope it dries. Does anyone have an idea of what it could be?

The most common thing we see cause intermittent heating issues on these gas dryers is bad gas coils. When they go bad they will usually work towards the beginning of the cycle and stop working 10-20 minutes into the cycle. You also usually have to have wet clothes in the dryer in order to get it to act up. When the gas coils go bad you will usually see the ignitor turn on and glow orange and then you will hear a clicking noise and instead of the flame coming on the ignitor turns off. Let us know what you find.

This is the gas valve coil for your model dryer:

Gas Valve Coil - Part # PD00004000 (mfg # WPW10328463)
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Thanks for the reply. But my problem is the igniter not glowing. Doesn't the igniter have to glow before the gas valve coil to click on? I changed the thermal fuse and checked all the components on the back of dryer with ohm meter and everything was at 0ohms. The igniter will glow on intermittently.

I have a whirlpool duet dryer it keeps blowing the panel fuse box. I have cleaned out the vents and they are clear.

Yes the ignitor has to glow before the gas goils will open up the gas valve. When the dryer is working properly it will cycle the flame on and off to meet the desired temperature. The flame does not remain on during the entire cycle. How often is yours cycling on and off?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Quote Originally Posted by Smith58 View Post
    I have a whirlpool duet dryer it keeps blowing the panel fuse box. I have cleaned out the vents and they are clear.
    Please post a new thread for us to help you with your problem.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

The igniter doesn't light up on the initial start. I've tested the wires while the dyer was on and I have no power going to the igniter, flame sensor and solenoids. Can the timer be the issue. I tested the back of the timer and it all 0s out except the solid red wire which reads 1. I believe that is a power line. But what gets me is why would the dryer work on and off. Please let me know what you think.

Well I figured out the problem. I turned the dryer on and tested the wires to the igniter and it had no power. So tested the timer and notice the red wire with the 1ohm reading wasn't constant power, so I pushed the timer knob around left and right and bingo the red wire went to constant power, igniter turned on right after. So now I know for sure its the timer. Hope it helps some one who has experienced this same problem.

Thanks for the update! I have updated the status of this thread to FIXED.

This is the timer for this dryer in case anyone else needs it:

Timer - Part # PD00030598 (mfg # WPW10185987)
    Ryan

PartsDr.com