Thread: Defrost cycle issue with my bottom mount freezer; warm fridge, freezer is fine!

Defrost cycle issue with my bottom mount freezer; warm fridge, freezer is fine!

Model Number: 596.69283011
    Brand: Sears Kenmore

I am having a defrost cycle issue with my Kenmore bottom mount freezer (Model #: 596.69283011).

The freezer is working, but fridge gets warm. Even before this happens I can tell it is going to happen with extra frost on freezer items and really hard ice cream. Also I usually find some frost on the back vent in the top part of the fridge too.

The compressor seems to be running fine and the back fan near the compressor does as well. Removing the back panel in the drawer freezer reveals that the coils are completely iced up. Blower Fan from freezer into fridge is free of ice and is still working.

I have manually defrosted 6-8 times so far and fridge seems to work fine after (sometimes for as little as a 1 week, sometimes as much a month or so).

My amateur troubleshooting to date:
    - Tested defrost heater: continuity test showed between 0-50 (something like 30 or 40). Shouldn't be the problem.
    - Tested thermistor: continuity test, room temp test was 6.8k ohms and ice water test was around 28k ohms. Shouldn't be the problem.
    - Tested defrost thermostat: continuity test in glass of ice water didn’t give a reading, replaced this part with brand new. After almost a month, same issue again. Warm fridge and coils blocked up with ice.

I keep reading about the timer and I do not know where that is located on my fridge model. I am assuming it is not a mechanical timer and would mean replacing a circuit board?

I am currently at a loss…any help REALLY appreciated. This manual defrosting is getting old.

It sounds like the Jazz Control Board is bad. This is the control board that controls the defrost cycle on this refrigerator. We have seen some of these control boards run the compressor during the defrost cycle not allowing the frost to melt.

This is the Jazz Control Board for your model refrigerator:

Jazz Control Board - Part # PD00004512 (mfg # WPW10503278)
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter